Featured Dear friend... Her dancing days

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by scoutshouse, Sep 23, 2019.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Yes I am and I just had lunch. Go figure.LOL

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Me too, but I haven't lunched as yet. However, while we are on the subject, Campbell's no longer makes Scotch Broth. :arghh:

I loved it the way it was, but also made Shepherd's Pie with it. The real one. That uses Lamb.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They don't???? Arggggggg! I thought it was just that my local stores (on the wet coast) didn't carry it!

scoutshouse and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

This just in from Dave's Cupboard blog:

Unfortunately, Campbell's recently made a business decision to discontinue several of their soups which were based on relatively costly ingredients so they could concentrate on their various chicken noodle soups marketed at kids and based around their cheap and crappy chicken broth.

That's why, if you're a fan of Campbell's Lentil Soup or Bean With Bacon, you might be having trouble finding them since they're getting pushed aside for the astounding eleven varieties of chicken noodle swill aimed directly at kids. (Seriously, Campbell's, does the market really need Disney Princess Soup? Disney Pixar Cars Soup? Spongebob Squarepants Soup? Give me a damn break.)

Anyway, Scotch Broth is gone from the American market. It's still available in Canada, so maybe I'll take a drive up to Quebec sometime and smuggle some back. Until then, I'll have to be satisfied with making my own.

5. Bakersgma

But I can still buy Bean with Bacon here.

6. silverthwait

ANOTHER favorite of mine! However, it used to be better than it is now. One has to spend some time smashing up the beans in order to make a thicker soup - yummy!

And with a chopped hot dog... :happy:

7. silverthwait

Incidentally, Heinz (if anyone can stll find THAT anywhere), still makes Scotch Broth. Have never tasted it, so can't recommend; and it's expensive as soups go.

8. scoutshouse

In LA, too - just quoting ol' Dave.

Right?!?

9. scoutshouse

They can stop making lentil soup all they want! Lol

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Bakersgma

The Split Pea with Bacon has gotten much thicker recently.

11. pearlsnblume

We were a few flavors family of canned soup. Mostly chicken based. Chick with stars, chicken noodle, chicken with rice, chicken with dumplings and Vegetarian Veg (we called it ABC soup as it had those pasta letters) and Cream of Mushroom mostly. I did the same technique with cutting up cooked chicken adding to the mushroom soup and putting it over rice. MMmm mmm good.

Then we moved on to Lipton Soups in the bags. Very salty. But a good cup o soup when you have a hot shot kitchen device to heat up or boil water. LOL Altho that thing burnt many fingers along the way.

I used to buy all the cream variety of canned soups for my grandmother when she was too weak to do her own shopping and needed a broth kind of soup. The worst one I tried was Cream of Celery. Ugh.

My mother's home made soup from scratch and my grandmother's made from scratch chicken soup was the best and reserved for holidays only. Add in matzo balls and oh so good for the 2nd course of holiday meals. First was fruit salad.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pearl,
    So you don't like cream of celery? I use it when making pot roast. Nothing beats the taste when you can not see something. It may make your heart stop but occasionally, it is soooo good.
    greg

13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

14. pearlsnblume

Hi Greg, I couldn't get past the smell or the look or the taste of the cream o celery soup.
    I like celery bits in chicken soup, but not cream of celery. I bet your pot roast was yummy. I love it when it when pot roast or brisket falls apart on the fork

And just to add, no celery EVER in tuna. If I need to extend it, I will use chopped tomatoes with mayo.:p

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can eat celery, but not for preference. It damages everything it touches. Raw tomatoes just plain ruin it of course. I do sometimes use the lower salt cream of mushroom as an emergency sauce. If you need a good beef stew liquid, the place to start is a bottle of dark beer.

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I need to go eat:D. I don't think I've had canned soup in years. Since I was a kid I've loved cream of celery, bean with bacon, split pea with ham and tomato.:)

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

The photo & story are beautiful in so many ways❤️

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. scoutshouse

19. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

I absolutely love it! Things like that are so special, it’s true value is to heart & memory, and that’s a beautiful thing.

20. silverthwait

Evelyn! Carbonnade a la Flamande! Julia Child! Beer!

Draft saved Draft deleted