Featured Dear friend... Her dancing days

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by scoutshouse, Sep 23, 2019.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

So, @silverthwait <3

This lingered with me, and I'm now kind of desperate to learn how to make Flemish stew AKA Carbonnade à la Flamande.

Jaques Pepin's recipe looks very easy. But, your recipe would be my treasure, if you divulged.. :)

What kind of beer do you use?

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Except for the beer, as I use Guinness Stout, I use Julia Child's recipe.

I find her recipes to be simple, easy to follow, and really, REALLY GOOD. (And not all cluttered up with dashes of middle-eastern whatsis, and south American thingles!)

Further soup recipes:

Mongol - Tomato and Pea mixed together. Comes out tasting like some kind of bean and feeds Vegetarians! (Well!)

Curry - cream of chicken, add one teaspoon of curry, and pour over rice, or chicken and rice. Or, shrimp & rice with cream of shrimp. (One can also add nuts, or parsley, or something else to taste.)

Chinese soup (the packet kind) - prepare as directed, but when it boils, add one egg, wait four seconds, then stir, Add a small handfull of baby spinach (or lettuce) add an extra quarter teaspoon ginger, a decent jolt of soy sauce, and a good sprinkle of garlic powder (NOT salt!), when you stir in the stuff in the little pouch. (Many variations on this - shrimp especially good)

My college had a nice little kitchen on each floor. :)

pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Caution: do NOT use a recipe "based" on Julia's.

And, if you are into Flemish, try Waterzooi! Served in flat soup bowls, with knife, fork and soup spoon. The Big one.

And let me know how your Carbonnade comes out! Please!

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

Reported spam/troll

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. scoutshouse

I will! I guess you can use chicken or whitefish...

I did have a go at Flemish stew and it was delicious! I had it with boiled potatoes and carrots - perfect and really easy :)

I sliced a beef tenderloin from Ralph's that probably didn't need to be cooked for 2 hours and used Blue Moon Belgian white ale. :woot::woot::woot:

silverthwait and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother used tomato soup in her chocolate cakes.

scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    I still do.
    greg

8. gregsglass

9. gregsglass

Hi,
    Egad another one. @bookahoo.
    greg

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

at least they're providing Greg with some amusement.

Draft saved Draft deleted