Deconstructing Weighted Sterling Items to Find True Weight

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lauragarnet, Aug 14, 2017.

1. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Deconstructing Weighted Sterling Items to Find True Weight

I was wondering if anyone one has ever done this? I have two sets of weighted sterling candlestick holders that I'm thinking of selling for scrap. I want to know how much of the weight is actually sterling silver.

One set is marked Kirk & Sons, Sterling, "cement filled and reinforced with rod of other metal" . Heavy little chunks.

The other set is simply marked Crown Sterling Weighted and are much lighter.

They both look like the flat bottoms are attached by the silver of the body of the candlesticks being folded/molded around the circumference of the bases.

Should I go at it with a pair of needle nose pliers to unfold it and see if the the bottoms will come off so I can remove all the non-sterling stuff inside?

Thanks for any experience - knowledge - advice anyone can impart!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They vary greatly by manufacturer and era.
    This is an exceptionally heavy pair.
    wei 002.JPG
    Average for medium sized pair is usually 25 grams.
    wei 003.JPG
    The glass coaster rings go from 1.5 to 8 grams depending on maker.

3. lauragarnet

@terry5732 - How did you do that? Did you use pliers? Is the stuff on the inside easy to take out?

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

easy once you know how....i guess..!

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Is scrap silver still worth it? I have some stashed away. When the price went down, I stored it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It varies how easily they come apart. Usually the stuff if similar to plaster and can be broken out of the opened piece with a few sharp raps. Sometimes it's a gooey mess.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. lauragarnet

Bev, I looked this morning and it was at $17.19 ounce. Not much considering last time I sold any for scrap it was over $50.00. I think it was 2010 or there abouts.

Draft saved Draft deleted