Featured Delft Tile - Whose Mark? When?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I picked up this tile at a dealer's sale yesterday and have not found this mark online. I assume 20th Century and that may be why. But I'm still curious.

4.5 x 4.5 inches, with a picture frame edge. Buff clay, unglazed back. Incised mark (although the best picture I could get of the mark was from the side, giving it the look of standing out from the surface.) "Porcelain Pot" shape with the letters TL inside. Delft in modified script below. No "Made in" - would it have had a sticker for export?

One last thing - appears to have been made to hang. There's a thin back wire that goes into 2 small holes in the top edge, exiting on the back, ends wound together. Just enough slack to hang from a wall hook at the top.

Mark.jpg

Tile 1.jpg

These 2 views show how three-dimensional the image was made. The light colored lines are sharp!

Closeup 1.jpg

Tile 2.jpg

2. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

$45 dollars? for all 3 I guess?

Very much the same look and the same mark. So Porceleyne Fles - which makes sense with the "pot." I didn't see anything that said when, but that's not a big deal. Interesting that the seller used the term "cloisonné" because I had been thinking it had that look.

Thanks, tyeldom!

yourturntoloveit and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Try: De Porceleyne Fles

5. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Moreother - I had looked at all the dPF marks in the usual marks places, but didn't see one exactly the same. Assumed that meant it was either much newer than they cover or somebody else.

So now I know they did a whole series of these windmill pictures and I can look for others who may know when the series was done. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Thanks, anund! Wow, there's a whole bunch of these!

9. anundverkaufen

10. Bakersgma

I found one on eBay of larger size ( 9x5) but very similar image that has a gift inscription on the back dated 1951, so roughly mid-century?

anundverkaufen likes this.
  11. anundverkaufen

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Late to the party:).

From the book Discovering Dutch Delftware by Van Hook about this version of their mark: "De Porceleyne Fles Cloisonne tile impression, ca 1945. This mark was impressed into Cloisonne tiles until around 1960."

13. Bakersgma

Excellent, SIS!!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

Oh forgot, the letters in the pot mark he says are JT, which would be for Joost Thooft the owner of the factory, written similar to the Greek Pi. On other marks and on later tiles the J and T are combined and look like the a script F.

Bakersgma and anundverkaufen like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Thanks! I was not expecting JT.

16. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

See ecrater.com sorry I can't link with the ipad, but several very similar to yours and they are asking $70 each

17. Uk Storm

Uk Storm New Member

Hi, Does Anyone know of a forum to identity Dutch tiles?

18. say_it_slowly

You can try posting a new thread on this forum and see what happens. There are some Dutch folks on this board and lots of pottery folks.

I have some Dutch pottery and a few tiles but I do have some books with at least one on tiles. Someone might be able to help.

I'd not be shocked if there is a Facebook group that specializes in Dutch tiles.

Draft saved Draft deleted