Featured Delft-Type Wall Plates - UNUSUAL Base Marks !!!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Nov 6, 2022.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've got a small collection of De Porceleyne Fles items which I've collected over the past year or two.

I've recently come across a pair of wall plates/chargers - possibly also Dutch - which have intrigued me because of the weird makers marks on the base, which remind me of Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Has anyone seen such marks before, or even better, able to say who the exact maker was ?

Thanks in advance for any help !!!!

601_672060609.jpg 601_-1232744096.jpg 601_620485239.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Those are SUCH SWEET plates!!! Sorry I can't help on the marks, but others might be able to!!!!

dude and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Really nice, Stiftgasse.
    It looks like the mark of a Dutch manufacturer that kept changing its name. It is known as 'Potterie Kennemerland', Kennemer Pottenbakkerij, NV Kennemerpotterij, Plateel Noord Holland, and Velsen.
    They made different styles, including Delft style.
    I don't know how their marking worked, and why so many, but the jug mark looks like theirs.
    Maybe @say_it_slowly knows more.:)

The first scene is after a painting by Jozef Israels, and I'm pretty sure the second is too. Jozef Israels was the most important painter of the The Hague School of painters, Dutch Impressionism.
    His paintings were very popular in the first half of the 20th century.

Figtree3, Aquitaine, dude and 5 others like this.
  5. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Thank you for your lightning fast informative response ! Absolutely amazing !
    I collect a few Delft De Porceleyne Fles items as a 'sideline', in addition to the Asian ceramic items I normally collect. As a result, I've led a very sheltered life as regards the markings on other Dutch ceramics !
    Once again, sincere thanks for your excellent response !!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted