Delightful child's rocking chair.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by cmtminick, Jan 30, 2017.

1. cmtminick

cmtminick New Member

IMG_20170118_075149.jpg IMG_20170123_074405.jpg I have this beautiful child's rocking chair. It is made in Romania. It had a torn seat when I got it and I have changed out the cane on both back and seat. I am very curious about it's age. I have looked high and low and have had no luck finding anything quite like it. I just love it. It had a couple Phillips head screws in place of some of the old brass ones. I have gotten them back as they should be. There was a curious mechanism in the top of the arms where they attach to the back. It has to be tuned just tight for the screw to go in. The little chair is in great condition. Maybe someone here has seen another chair like this and can help me figure out an approx age. Thanks!!

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 70s or later with that press-in caning and KD construction. A lot of such furniture was shipped to the West from the Eastern Block countries starting about that time.

Debora likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Brad, the OP mentioned that he had "changed out" the torn seat and back with the new "caning" so that might not be a good indicator of age. But let me ask, what is "KD" construction?

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The OP would not be able to use press-in caning if it had not originally been done that way in the first place without some major structure modification beyond that of most DIY folks. KD is Knock-Down..... furniture that ships in its pieces and is assembled either by the dealer or consumer. Much of the Eastern European furniture was not all that consumer friendly to assemble. it required some gluing and clamping in addition to screw together and special connectors designed for such assembly. That extra piece at the back of the seat with the 4 holes looks like KD construction to me. Also, the OP mentioned the unusual connector at the back of the arms that sounds like a barrel nut connector.

Draft saved Draft deleted