Department Store 14KT Gold Jewelry, Unmarked - Fake?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mr2real, Dec 21, 2014.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I passed this up at a flea market today. I looked the piece over pretty good and didn't see a 14K mark. The department store Goody's was a major reputable chain of stores several years ago, now owned by Stage. Considering the original price was $70 and this was most likely sold when gold was around $300 an ounce, do you think this is solid 14k? Did Goody's even offer solid 14k jewelry? This is a fairly heavy piece. I'd estimate 9-10 grams, so it would be a steal at $8. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Joe

( I have bought 14k earrings that were only marked on the box, but there wasn't any room to mark the actual earring. )

IMG_5177.JPG IMG_5176.JPG

2. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Not sure without testing, I would have taken my chances for 8.00

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

May well not be the original item in the box

kyratango likes this.
  4. mymysharona43

might not but if it is 9 or 10 grams that's a score

5. terry5732

Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg Usually real gold items do not have open links like the one here. They are usually soldered shut. The circled spots certainly looks like plate loss.

kyratango and valleyfloor like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I tried the barcode number in the UPC index, no exact current match found but similar numbers were for 14 k jewellery

http://www.upcindex.com/64835237993

I'd say it's worth the 8 bucks as costume jewellery so what's to lose?

Well, you could lose $8 if it is plated and well worn, and of course the box could be from something else. But if there is no trace of plating loss you could be in with a chance.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like an odds-on fake to me. No marks and the open jump ring... That's probably why it was only eight bucks; the dealer had his/her doubts too. It's also possible that the pin part is legit but the locket is plated. Without seeing the back of the pin it's hard to be sure. The hinge mechanism often gives the game away.

kyratango likes this.
  8. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I looked it over pretty good and did see any signs of plating. I think that is a reflection in the photo. The clasp is a ring style clasp with two levers. It was actually pretty difficult to operate. I tried to open it for a couple of minutes then gave up because I was being rushed by my wife. I believe their was a factory sticker on the bottom of the case that said pin with locket too. I'll have to go look it over again. I need to by some of the acid to test gold. Thanks for the replies everyone.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Question is:
    Why is the seller selling something that is clearly marked 14K on the box, for only $8.00? The item should be marked 14K. If not then you need to think about what terry said. It's not the original item for the box.

kyratango likes this.
  10. mymysharona43

I woulda plopped my mula down then found out if it was or not and combed the rest of her stash, if it was good I'v spent that before and some were good and some were not. Without a chizel and acid no way to be sure, of course carry a magnet Most purses have them in the clasp
    Would never rule out bait and switch though but its the middle of winter and there's no finds so I'd probably throw down

antidiem likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Pshaw....see the twisted plastic coated wires holding the locket........those are not original to the box.
    There likely was a pair of 14K earrings there...on posts....thru those two holes..!

kyratango likes this.
  12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

After a lot of handling gold, the eye and brain integrate the weight so that the density of a gold piece rings a bell and says 'gold' to you. It is simplest with chains and such like plain objects, and often not even conscious.

kyratango likes this.
  13. terry5732

I usually go by color.

The sheen of this piece screams "I am not 14K"

However, lower carats are sometimes plated with 24K.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If the piece isn't marked, I'd say that's a good indicator it's got nothing to do with the box.

kyratango likes this.
  15. mymysharona43

It doesn't strike me as gold from the photo's but I have been surprised at finds before. I a small time gambler, it should have some sort of mark on it

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  16. mymysharona43

Not sure if he ever went back to check

17. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I went back with a neodymium magnet. It stuck to the magnet hard enough to lift it along with whole jewelry box. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

kyratango and evelyb30 like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oops. Guess it didn't come in that box originally then. At least I hope not.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

post # 11...

kyratango likes this.
  20. mymysharona43

Well if that is their business model, I would pass right by them, if it is intentional
    Usually if I buy jewelry cheap, (they probably don't know) I don't bother looking close, but if a dealer knowingly sells or tries to sell fakes, Im done

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted