Featured Depression in Brown Antique Furniture Prices?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Oct 27, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, those are called "invected corners", weird name for them and, you mostly only see them on QA period or mid 18th century tabletops in america. I don't know if that is an american quirk or an english design feature but they are interesting.

Nope, none listed.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Invected corners, strange name. QA meaning Queen Anne?

James Conrad likes this.
  3. James Conrad

LOL, yes invected corners = notched in that peculiar way, it is a weird word, try searching for it, ditto many old furniture words that are almost lost to time
    Yes, QA = Queen Anne 1740-1760 in america, earlier in england

4. James Conrad

"A fine Queen Anne lowboy, or dressing table; the fully-molded top with invected front corners and cleated ends, triple-arcaded skirt, and with exceptionally well-designed and executed cabriole legs and pad feet. Walnut, maple, and pine in an older dark surface with replaced brass. Southeastern NH or northern Essex County origin, c.1750-60. The cleated ends to the top and the fully-molded back edge are unusual, as is the shape of the small knee returns. Small in scale, with a more pronounced overhang than usual, the graceful legs and feet elevate this example from the norm. Case 29 1/2" wide, top 24" x 34 1/2", 30" ht."

Invected Corners- WEIRD WORD, even spell checker says NO, NOT A WORD! WRONG! it is a word!
    13936.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    patd8643 likes this.
  5. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

aka "re-entrant" corner

6. James Conrad

OTOH, here is a W&M chest of drawers C. 1700-1725, sold by Israel Sack in 1988 for $65,000.
    ( Sack is an icon in the early american furniture world) and the 1988 invoice by Sack accompanies this lot.
    It's a very fine example, original almost everything including brass pulls.
    It's being offered for sale next week at Brunk's in Asheville NC, estimate is 6k-9k with an opening bid of just 3k.
    YIKES! An IMPLOSION in price from just 30 years ago if it sells for anywhere close to estimate.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/78406858_american-william-and-mary-maple-high-chest

78406858_1_x.jpg

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That's beautiful!

I don't know when the term "brown" furniture came into being. It sounds horrible.........what's wrong with natural, unpainted?

I love furniture that started out painted however.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had the good fortune to have Israel as a friend in the late 1970s. I was always amazed how much he got for pieces. I had a desk I was trying to sell for 3 thousand and it sat and sat. Sacks ended up buying it from me for 2500. With in a month he sold it for 7 thousand. The good old days.
    greg

9. James Conrad

Well, people TRUSTED the Sack brand and, that's something you can't buy. They had the knowledge & product so it was worth a few bucks extra if just a beginner in old furniture for instance.
    No matter how you slice it, SOMEBODY is going to get a very good buy on a very nice piece with a top of the line pedigree next weekend.:happy:

10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Israel was a good friend of my FIL. As FIL aged and decided to 'lighten the load', Israel sold some pieces for him. I think one ended up in the White House and another in the Reception Room of the State Dept. FIL was pleased with the sales and that they would be where others could enjoy their beauty. We mourned his passing and also of Joe Kendig Sr.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  12. James Conrad

Frank Lloyd Wright designed chairs, those Tiffany lamps were very nice & very pricey as well. A Sam Maloof rocking chair made the sale too.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  13. James Conrad

The Sack William & Mary highboy sold today for 24k, a very nice buy and quite a ways from 65k 30 years ago.

komokwa, cxgirl, judy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Yeah, I don't call that "brown" furniture. Still, the price is staggering.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. James Conrad

LOL, OK, I'll bite, what color is it then?:p

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Okay, it is brown, but the term "brown furniture" generally refers to later 19th century to early 20th century heavy oak or other pieces that are factory or mass produced. An elegant little table like this is earlier and wasn't made in large quantity.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. James Conrad

True, the small QA VA tea table is early american, hand made & is unique ( only 1 known) and yes, that price is staggering, no doubt.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. giotto

giotto Active Member

The price paid for this table,is mainly about people with a lot of money and big egos,
    It reminds me of the art market the same thing ,I paid $ 100.000.000 million because I liked the colours.
    It seems some people buy the sizzle an not the sausage.

Regards Giotto.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. James Conrad

Well, that is part of it yes but, that is not the primary reason prices soar for some objects.
    There is usually only one of these objects and, you are not likely to get another chance at purchasing this object in your lifetime, it's NOW or NEVER.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My Dad always told me...."sell the sizzle, not the steak ";):woot::woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted