Featured Did I Find a Piece with Hughes Cornflower (at last)!?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Found this at a local on line auction for $30. I think it is cut with a Hughes Cornflower. The pitcher is signed with the Roden Bros mark on the base. I got a pitcher 8 3/4" H with NO CHIPS, how amazing is that? It came with 6 matching tumblers and I believe that 2 or 3 or them have little fleabites around the rims. So what do you all think? Is it Cornflower? I think so after looking at the cornflower page.

DSCF5015.jpg DSCF5016.jpg DSCF5017.jpg DSCF5019.jpg

I also got this really cool milk glass piece that was made by Imperial in 1950-52 (according to the Newbounds). It was kind of dirty when I took the pic but left it that way so you can see the details. I've never seen one of these before. I wonder if they were originally painted? The one in my reference book is all white.

DSCF5014.jpg
    DSCF5012.jpg

wenna, antidiem, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, I really like the pitcher . . . but I dearly love the milk glass piece. ;)

Aquitaine, silverthwait and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've had a milk glass covered dish like that with flowers painted on it, but they probably came plain as well.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sorry, but not Hughes Cornflower. It's considerably older... and better.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Older and better? Well, I like the sound of that.

Bakersgma and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Hughes Cornflower has 12 petals on the flower and a finer crossing hatching. There are collectors for the cutting. This looks like it was a figured blank ie only the flowers are cut the rest is in the mold.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think BOTH are LOVELY!!!!!!!:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's a couple of shots of Hughes Cornflower:
    ElegantClearGlass2LightCandlestickFleurdeLisHughesCornflower-c.jpg

HughesCornflowerWineSherbetStems-c.jpg

This is the most expensive piece with the cornflower cut that I sold (about $30 as I recall). The bowl was flashed blue (probably only stained) and cut to clear with cornflower. Hughes Cornflower is a shallow cut. I don't think it would work with cased glass.
    HughesCornflowerBlueRoseBowl-a.jpg

(Around here, it's difficult to find a piece of Candlewick that doesn't have the cornflower cut.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The milk glass piece looks dark and yellowed on my computer, is it really that color? Maybe it's clams broth instead of milk glass?

I really like it :happy:

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The milk glass piece was a little dirty when I photographed it and I thought the detail would show up better. After I washed it, it still seems to be a little yellowish in places, that's why I thought maybe it originally came painted. But now, it's mostly white.

Draft saved Draft deleted