Featured DID I FIND AN ORIGINAL JOHN EMMS PAINTING AT THRIFT STORE TODAY??!!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 11, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store today. I actually passed on it at first! I was 1st in line & went through the paintings first; as I flipped through them I tapped this one when I came to it & went on - I thought it was a print on cardboard.
    Then a little while later a friend of mine who goes around looking for cool things & selling them to the dealers there who didn't get it first. When he came up & showed it to me I told him I'd already looked at it & it was a print on board, but then he said "No Charlie it's a painting; look" and handed me his magnifying glass - I looked & it was a painting!!

I asked him what he wanted for it & he said $50; iy was a 1891 painting! He'd never asked for more than $20- $25 for something & after some haggling I gave him $30 for it (plus the $9.99 I paid the store)

Can someone tell me that it IS a painting? I could feel some ridges but it's mostly smooth - because of it's age? Did he paint on board? Or could there be a canvas that's stuck to board after so many years?

Any help, info, thoughts would be appreciated - I'm as nervous/excited as a cat on a porch full of rocking chairs! :)

Thanks guys!

AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 1AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 2AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 2AAA.JPG AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 5AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 6AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 6AAA.JPG
    AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 6BAA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

PS - The frame says Made in Sweden; in case that helps anything?
    Thanks again

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The most helpful thing for us in trying to help you is the label on the back and, in both photographs, it's out of focus.

Debora

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Sorry Debra - here is the label:

AA ART PAINTING EMMS JOHN DOG PAINTING 6BAAA.JPG

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. journeymagazine

Thank you Debra - guess I'm going to have to give my friend some more $ !!
    Take a look at the other 2 things I got from him that I posted; really unusual things - just like I like!

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

It would be wonderful if it turns out to be an original.

However, I'm a bit skeptical for two reasons: First the label on the back almost (to me) indicates that it is/was a reproduction (they way they mention "antique paintings 18th and 19th century"). Second concern is how it almost appears that someone was painting 'between the lines' - I'm focusing on the white line that runs from the underside of the tail around the upper butt area and on the top of the head/down the back of the neck.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I think you find really interesting items Journey. This one is looking pretty good to me but you need to see the back.
    ~ C71012A6-28D7-45D1-98F3-36C22B9C5FB8.jpeg

judy and i need help like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Can’t load the pic of one that was sold at Sotheby’s, it’s another Beagle or Harrier as yours called Gabriel.
    Good luck, hope it’s an original oil.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

AF417C2B-7F18-423B-9DA4-4215E847A4BC.jpeg There doesn’t seem to be white paper showing on this damaged piece. Maybe inspect that area?

Christmasjoy, judy and kyratango like this.
  12. journeymagazine

I think it was painted on the board you see in back?

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You'll want to check if all his work was oil on canvas or not.

Debora

14. wiscbirddog

Good point Debora. So far I've only found his works on canvas.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

16. wiscbirddog

Kronos: if you read the description on your 3rd link it says it is signed "Jms. Emms". John Emms appears to always sign his "Jno Emms".

17. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

They show the signature in one of the pictures. Looks like maybe they read/interpreted it wrong.

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If this is Jackson Heights, Queens, in NYC my uncle lived there for a long time. It's not far from where my mother lived, too, and where my sister lives now.

Pure geographical coincidence, I'm sure, but my uncle and mother were both artists, as was my uncle's friend who also lived in Jackson Heights.

19. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It looks like a painting to me and although I don't have any opinion on the authenticity it looks like a nice painting.

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

My point was, it doesn’t look like a print on paper applied to board, covered with varnish to appear like brush stokes. Which was once suggested on this Forum in regard to a different work. :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted