Did I mess up? My restored Daguerreotype case spine

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I would be tempted to do my own repair , but be conservative. I was thinking white glue and cloth , but that can be a bit stiff , though I have done it on some old junk books but kept the center portion very sparse with glue and kept opening it back and forth every few minutes to keep it flexible in the end. White glue is pretty low key as far as glues are concerned , no nasty vapor to fog your nicely restored picture.

There has to be something other than "Rubber cement " made , book binders glue ??

I guess it comes down to how OCD one is and if one can live with it the way it is .

kyratango likes this.
  2. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

After further thought and inspection I can see how the leather tore. It was just too old and too brittle to hold up to being opened and closed. Before the case was fixed there was a lot of slack but when repaired and opening correctly it stretched the inside leather in a way it couldn't hold up. The only way it was going to remain intact was through extreme gentle care when opening the case.

I am still in contact with the restoration people to possibly discuss a solution for the inside. It doesn't affect the integrity of the case and they repaired it very nicely on the outside to the extent you can't tell they added leather to hold it together. Overall the restoration was extremely successful and I don't want this to overshadow the fact they did a wonderful job!!

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted