Did they make wooden storage boxes for wool?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Hayley91, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

Good evening today I finally got a vintage wooden sewing box I’m in love with, and I wondered if they had similar but for storing wool back in the day? I will attach a photo of my sewing box incase you need it. I did try googling but it didn’t come up with anything. Maybe I didn’t google the correct words. Does anyone know if they made wooden boxes for wool similar to the sewing boxes? Thank you for reading my post.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Pictures are really helpful...the more the better, up to six!

3. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

I’m sorry I thought I’d attached the photos, I will try again now

4. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

E4202EAB-1E06-4713-8BD6-8C25E3FA519C.jpeg D7C7D6CB-C9FF-4CAE-A067-21E738D99FBB.jpeg 45152D38-E9A2-41DB-9FA0-4E9B73ECBAB0.jpeg This is my sewing box I have got. It should have legs which are missing so I hope to get the original legs at some point. I will try attach photos to my original post as well. But I wondered if there was something similar for wool? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2022
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you mean for wool yarn, Hayley? I would think storing wool material in something that can protect from moth damage would be best and that usually means cedar wood or large enough for moth balls. I don't recall boxes like this one at all. Where are you located?

That box is incredible storage!

6. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

Yes for wool yarn, I love to crochet.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not an uncommon form. I have seen several.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...HWuCCkMQjJkEegQIAhAC&biw=1607&bih=755&dpr=0.8

Hayley91 likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

but even the box has a liner.....,

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying the form is uncommon, only that I had not seen one in person. My mother and her mother kept all their sewing gear in "Martha Washington" cabinets. My great grandmother apparently kept hers in an oriental design basket (which I only found when going through Mom's things.)

2manybooks likes this.
  10. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

Does yours have a special name or brand I could google?

11. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

I’ve just googled Martha Washington cabinets and I love the ones I’ve seen so far. Some seem to look a little deeper which would be perfect for me. Thank you so much

Draft saved Draft deleted