Featured Dining Room Sideboard and Hutch -- How Much?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dragals, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dragals

dragals New Member

Thanks for everyone's help on the bar. Extremely insightful.

Another piece I am looking to sell as we downsize is a sideboard and hutch. Believe it's cherry wood (?) and was purchased by my mother from a friend of her mother's, probably about 50-60 years ago (used at the time, so not sure how old it actually is). It has the brand "Pennsylvania House" on it. The hutch is detachable. And two of the drawers have built-in storage for silver (with cloth cover).

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sideboard1.jpg Sideboard2.jpg Sideboard3.jpg Sideboard4.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty, "traditional style" and by a good maker. Guessing it was not terribly old when your mother bought it - I'm pretty sure it's post WWII.

Having the Pacific Cloth lining and fittings for silver flatware meant a lot at the time, but I'm not sure the young ones care now. ;)

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

50 years is about right. Nicely made, no doubt!! Like most "brown furniture," especially large pieces, demand has fallen off sharply. I would expect a piece like this to sell for about $100 at auction here in my part of the U.S. Midwest. Sad, considering what it sold for originally!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

We would have to lose the hutch to sell this, then maybe a couple hundred dollars or so at retail here. Tried to sell a smaller maple one with hutch for about 9 months, eventually reducing the price to $99.00. Removed the hutch and painted the base white and sold it in 3 days for $165.00. I am not advocating painting this, as it is too nice. Just trying to relay the reality of today's marketplace.

5. dragals

dragals New Member

Thanks. I actually kept the hutch in storage and just used the sideboard. I put the hutch back on for pictures.

6. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Sadly....This generation wants nothing to do with formal...formal anything. I had a Beautiful Pennsylvania House ….Bubble glass, unique...NOPE couldn't sell it..it was mint too. Gave it away! GOOD WILL won't even take them, because no one wants them! JUST amazing!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted