Featured Dining table age question

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cherper, May 16, 2019.

1. Cherper

Cherper New Member

61725A6F-BBFE-4998-AFE9-2A0680E11533.jpeg 98AD45C3-567E-42D3-9160-F9AA7001D39F.jpeg 0E310E62-B75F-44E0-BEE6-B41A0BC10A60.jpeg 5F3590F6-0C1B-4EC8-87D7-19AC14933560.png FBDBEB30-82AF-43B2-9E84-B98B7BC41DB9.jpeg FBDBEB30-82AF-43B2-9E84-B98B7BC41DB9.jpeg 5F3590F6-0C1B-4EC8-87D7-19AC14933560.png I’m looking for a dining table and saw this at a flea market type store . The pedestal part is very large circumference wise and it appears heavy . I don’t know what I’ll do for chairs but I like the table. She doesn’t have leaves but based on pic I took it may have had some !? I don’t know much about furniture or antiques I just like old wood . any help appreciated

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Good job with pics, just hit Edit, More Options, Check Full Image, Save Changes.

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. Cherper

Cherper New Member

Eek think I messed it up

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s fine, but you can hit Edit, More Options, and delete any duplicates.

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In order for a pedestal table to accommodate one or more leaf it needs to have the following features - a place where the top separates into 2 equal halves, a place where the pedestal separates into 2 equal halves and finally a mechanism under the table top and above the pedestal that moves the separated pieces of the top outward from the separation.

I do not see the first 2 things on my list in your pictures. But I do see what appears to be parts of the separating mechanism in your picture of the underside of the top.

It may be that the table top already has a leaf inserted that is taking up the space that would be created by opening the top the width of one leaf.

The table may have been made to only have one leaf inserted and thus that pedestal may not have needed to separate.

A better look at the entire underside of the table top would really help.

Christmasjoy, Cherper and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lovely wood !!!!
    HOW MUCH ???

Christmasjoy and Cherper like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It has a mechanism underneath for adding leaves, for certain. No clue if it still has them, but they're not in the table already. These were generally round. I'm guessing it's circa 1900 and no doubt quite sturdy.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It does look like it has a leaf in place.

Beautiful quarter-sawn oak. With a little care it will last another century.

9. komokwa

need to see all the metal.....

Christmasjoy and Cherper like this.
  10. Cherper

Cherper New Member

The table top as you can see in the picture is not a solid it has lines down it and on the left-hand side there’s one section where it is more narrow width wise and I can’t understand why it looks like that because it isn’t the same on the other side which is the only thing about I did not like about it. They are asking 125 that’s with the two chairs but they don’t go together

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The table is American Oak circa 1910 - 30s
    One of the more simple in design. Some have bigger claw feet.

Look up Oak Pressed Back Chairs. That's what would have been used with this type of table

12. komokwa

give em $110...& tell them to keep the chairs...

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're probably perfectly good chairs, just not what went with the table. I'd give them a divorce and get some nicer ones and use those as backups for extra backsides.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

As others said, circa 1910 quartersawn oak. No leaves in it as it sits. Doubt the seller has them or they would be with it. The main problem I see with this is that the top is split in multiple places. It may have been glued back together (or not) but it is a poor job. I would pass at this price. I can pick up similar here in the Midwest for under $50.00. Might need refinishing at that price but would not have a split top as seen here.

15. Cherper

Cherper New Member

Thanks for the advice . I will wait !

16. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Agree with Brad completely. Also agree its 1910-1930's. Probably a mass-produced table that Sears or Wards would have sold. You can get them in good condition for under $100 in my neck of the woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted