Do Signatures on Porcelain Objects Suggest Age? "Hache" - Post 1

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I wish I could say that helps with the small print, but not with my eyes, @KikoBlueEyes !!! NICE TRY ENLARGING, though!!!!! Makes me wonder if it was even MEANT to be read!!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I hear you. I thought it was just a line, but that's why I have a magnifying app on my phone that takes photos.

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

I knew I had seen the two impressed circles on a item described as Hache. Here it is
    [​IMG]

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

problem to find exact data for the years when Hache closed (1930). who bought who, when and if ....
    it could as well be that the deposits around Vierzon of a specially fine clay that was named Vierzonite and was compared to Limoges or even Sèvres ones extinguished.
    they have a museum (hearhear....) :
    https://www.berryprovince.com/patrimoine-culturel/musee-de-vierzon-vierzon/
    only thing I can remember from passing the city some 30 years ago - nice or as the French say - "chouette" but forgotten, a bit sleepy but charming.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

What a wonderful memory. I have been known to stop at obscure museums and gawk at the tractors, cars, signs and other pieces of the past. I can see your point about exhausting a deposit of clay leading to the demise of the factory. After reading all the posts, I am leaning toward this being a Hache piece - maybe early before their award in the Paris exposition in 1878, when their mark became very large :).

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HMMMM.....that makes me wonder if I might too!!!! ANOTHER thing to check out!!!!:woot:

9. KikoBlueEyes

I got the app with the magnifying glass on the blue background. For &1.99 you get an adjustable light too

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

is there anything on youtube about installing apps ? I hate phones and now the EC commission decided that everybody has to install an app for online-banking - which is of course not as safe as the old French system.... well, wott do I expect from alcoholics and dimwits...

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those aren't just phones anymore.... they're more like tracking devices..!

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it's actually not the only case; between Nevers and Tours and also along the Loire there were many village potteries that ran out of good clay. may have to do that the sediments weren't that high in those flat plains.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

My first thought seeing the mark was Haviland even with the black line, so I'm in the Haviland camp, decorated by someone named Hache:) Is it a decal or hand painted? Sometimes manufacturers marks were covered over with the decorator mark, maybe the black mark is the same idea. Starting in 1891, pieces made for export had to include the county of origin.
    I've been wrong many times before, maybe @kentworld can have a look:)

KikoBlueEyes and dgbjwc like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Be glad to help. What kind of phone do you have?

15. KikoBlueEyes

Very interesting. From what I have been reading, Hache was a competitor of Haviland using the clay as the distinction between the two.

16. KikoBlueEyes

I can see that point too. I am certainly not knowledgeable, but I can't see the transfer edges here, so I'm thinking hand painted

IMG_4348.JPG

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thanks a lot. it's a Samsung, that's all I know. will send a pic tomorrow. there you see how much i use it...:D

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Gotcha. A picture is not necessary, but we need to figure out the model so we can determine what youtube video would be best to use. Has anyone mentioned the word "Android" to you, when talking about your phone? Most Samsung phones use the Android system.

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

would be an idea to research from the Haviland side. a connection or even buy-out by Haviland ?

20. KikoBlueEyes

Great idea. I will do that. This is clearly a mystery piece. The more I learn, the better my skills at picking up a real antique.

Draft saved Draft deleted