Do Signatures on Porcelain Objects Suggest Age? "Hache" - Post 1

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Just bumped into this and wanted to add my 2 pennies. Transferware items 'decorated' by applying a transfer/decal are known for the peculiar signatures on the front. These signatures are neither porcelain decorator or producer names/signatures but simply the names of those (often long dead) artists which originally created the oil painting after which the template was created.

In short, companies required material for the templates they intended to sell to porcelain factories and studios. Preferably the art of lesser known, long dead artists. Why? Well: no heirs, no royalties, no hassle.

German and French copyright laws stated that the reproduction of 'framed art' in such cases was acceptable, but ONLY if the original artist signature or printed name was included.

Some long-forgotten artists achieved a posthumous stardom, some even advanced to the namesake of a whole style (Watteau, Fragonard, etc).
    ----------------
    And no, there's nothing underneath the FRANCE, it's a plain line.

KikoBlueEyes, cxgirl and dgbjwc like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Well that's a fascinating insight into how these companies operate and how this name appeared on this piece. I can see this as standard lovers fare with a cupid (I guess) above painted by a minor artist.
    It was very much like piece below attributed to Adolphe Hache, so I thought it was a possibility that this was part of their decorating scheme. The article that Fid had found talked about Hache's flamboyant approach, and the color scheme and the metal edge of my bowl seemed be on that end of the spectrum, so I thought it was a possibility. Thanks for sharing your expertise. I very much appreciate it. (I will no longer try to make something out of that line.)

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted