Featured Do you think the market for brown wood furniture will recover and ? primitive

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Feb 11, 2020.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

"I have seen the grannies, and it is us"

pearlsnblume and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I've always like brown furniture and I think it will make a come back, not sure when but I think younger people are starting to see what good value it can be.

judy, pearlsnblume and Darkwing Manor like this.
  3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Yes, middle market, mass manufactured vintage furniture will come back. It sort of has now, with the current trends of re-purposing, designer assemblages, and chalk-painting. Victorian will too, altho it is still popular with the Goths and steam-punk factions, and us hopeless romantics who still subscribe to Victorian Homes and Victoria Magazines. It probably won't go mainstream again until Martha Stewart does another feature story on it. Remember the neo-Victorian craze of the 1980's? Roses ad nauseam, even at Walmart. As James mentioned the high-end, rare regional, attributed maker, and museum-quality pieces of all eras have held and even increased in value, but that's a different level of collecting.

BTW, I thought THIS was Granny Chic...

Old lady fashion.png

judy, kyratango, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I tag some of my items with Granny Chic if I think they fit that category. Nothing in furniture tho. Mostly kitchen utensils that granny really did use. Not my grandmother but many other grandmothers.

judy, Darkwing Manor and James Conrad like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That looks like Rep Rosa DeLauro; she's from my state. Nice lady, but dresses a little goofy. When you get to be her age and still working, you can wear what you darned well please. I'm having a hard time thinking there are two of her, but you never know!

judy, kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

OMG, that IS her! Just something I ganked off the Internet, I never thought to ID her!

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  7. evelyb30

Ms DeLauro is well known here.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I agree about oak... with the exception of Mission Style which seems to be doing ok. But, 1900's oak and 1980's oak isn't selling at all. I hear that they can't "give" it away at resale places and it ends up getting broken down for the dumpster. I think that the trend was to paint those pieces... and I guess that would be better than the dumpster. However, I just hate seeing beautiful old pieces with lovely grain (of any type) being painted. Sometimes a piece just needs a little love...new stain, a few rubs of sandpaper here or there... a new coat of paste wax... and voila!

Leslie

judy, Ghopper1924 and gregsglass like this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I just saw a post on the internet about "fashion trends" making a comeback... "mom jeans", shoulder pads, long straight hair parted in the middle, denim on denim, long sport coats (for ladies)... almost tunic like, white boots, Doc Martins, clogs... and the list went on... so perhaps furniture and antiques will make a come back too!

Leslie

judy, kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. giotto

giotto Active Member

Interesting topic,
    I was a furniture Dealer and restore all my life (45years)
    I shake my head every day ,to what has happened in general to good quality furniture.
    I think some of the issues started in the 80s-90s when for what ever reason people had money but not a lot of knowledge ,and bought antique by the bucket load at silly prices (great for dealers at the time) and they mainly purchased very poor quality ,Blow away type furniture ,a term used in the trade ,for furniture that was so light ,it would blow away if left on the street.

The prices people paid (silly) for these pretend antiques came back to bite them later on.

Because they bought with out much knowledge ( I will buy it from auction it will be cheaper ,than buying from a dealer mentality ).
    Good quality will still sell for a good price,maybe not what it should be ,I think you will find most people will be keeping their Quality pieces ,because of the market at the moment.
    I recently purchased a piece in an opp shop for $120.00
    sold it 2weeks latter no work for $1600.00 .An oak Cutler desk.
    At the moment it is a real gold mine out there. Because everyone is throwing out the gold and keeping the chipboard and plastic.

Not really that smart ,but there you go that's what we call fashion.
    And as far as upholstered items paying a lot of money for foam,chipboard and fresh air.
    Let's not use real springs anymore ,it takes to long and is to difficult.

Regards Giotto

judy and kyratango like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

12. giotto

giotto Active Member

Many Thanks

The customer got a bargain ,Again the seller did not have any knowledge ,it was solid oak made around 1900, auto locking drawers when center drawer was closed.
    will last her another 100 years.
    I am retired ,but my knowledge will be will me for ever.
    As I said people are throwing away the gold and keeping the plastic.

A year or so ago someone left an Australian cedar 2 drawer leather tooled top desk on the foot path in front of my house,I put in in my car took it to my shop and sold it for $850.00 .Did no work on it ,just put the money in my pocket. ( lucky find, knowledge helps)

Regards Giotto.

judy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

They have a saying in architecture that form follows function and I believe that this can be applied to furniture. If a particular piece of furniture like a china cabinet isn't in high demand anymore since younger people don't use china then I don't see the market recovering any time soon. Kind of like magazine racks aren't popular anymore since they are not as useful due to the percentage of the population still buying magazines is minimal.

judy likes this.
  14. komokwa

& curio cases..they're lovely...but if you don't got nuthin to put in them...who needs em ??

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Here’s some Great Granny chic. The Queen is happy to mix it up a bit at Balmoral Castle with chintz, checks and tartan!
    0479A567-6DBA-46D7-91B8-7930F3DA49B5.jpeg

16. komokwa

that's no ordinary granny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. evelyb30

Yes and no. More money, but the same old family with problems and at least one child who's still making Mom shake her head.

18. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

not sure what paris apartment is but if its old paris apartment then that suits me as i like french stuff and need it to be cheaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted