Do you think the sold price of this book is because it was a charity?

Discussion in 'Books' started by pearlsnblume, Jan 13, 2021.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. pearlsnblume

Thanks Debora. I have sold a number of these books, I can not remember off hand what the years on them were. I know some were during the war years. This seems to be a very high price to me BWDIK.
    Plus the condition is not so great I have one here that I need to check on and see the date, mine is in bad shape too.

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree puzzling. The ones on offer on abebooks.com are described as being in about the same condition and both are less expensive.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I think it's because of the signature of Martha Niclason who was the first Greenlander belly dancer. after her short career as the
    Kalaallit Nunaat Mata Hari during the occupation of Denmark by the Germans she had to flee to the U.S. and had to keep a strict lifelong diet because the climate of her beloved Greenland was too cold for belly dancing.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

This IS mysterious. My guess is that a couple of eBay newbs saw the 1901 date in the description and somehow thought that was relevant to this 1934 later printing - an actual 1901 printing WOULD be exceedingly valuable. It was a tremendously popular cook book in its day, and a lot of people still want it because grandma used it.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

Thanks 2many. I have sold a number of these cookbooks mostly from different years, some older and some not as old. The settlement cookbook has a lot of wonderful old recipes that remind of us of days gone by.
    Problem with the older cookbooks, is if they are used a lot over time, they completely fall apart. It is one of my favorite cookbooks.

Figtree3 and 2manycats like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted