Do You Think We Can Drink Out of These Silverplate Julep Cups?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ola402, Apr 29, 2021.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of 6 International Silver plated Mint Julep Cups. Always wanted some of these and want to know if you all think it's safe to drink out of them. Here are the before/after photos. I could get the outside tarnish free, but the inside is a different story. In the 2nd photo there is a dark ring around the bottom that seems to be where there is missing silver. So are they safe to drink from, will the Mint Julep taste like old metal? Or should I just try a few drinks and test for myself (lol)? Thanks for your comments!

DSCF7878.jpeg DSCF7879.jpeg

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Someone is getting ready for the Kentucky Derby... LOL
    I have no idea if it is safe to drink out of those or not. But if they were mine, I would not.

judy likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SURE, as long as they're FULL of HIGH POTENCY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::D:D:D:D:D:D Well, I would think the alcohol would kill anything lethal in them, but please don't take my answer as Gospel!!!!

UPDATE!!! I GOOGLED:

If you see a gold color or a darkened silver color on the inside of a silver-plated container or the surface of a silver-plated platter, you may want to discontinue using the item for food or drink. That is when you need to repurpose those containers for other uses.

[​IMG]The inside of an old mint julep cup. This one should not be used.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Figtree3 and judy like this.
  4. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Put a plastic or paper cup inside and drink away.

Figtree3, smallaxe, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea!

Well, I googled too, for the mint julep recipe and it sounds like a bourbon snowcone.

pearls, we lived in Louisville for awhile when I was a kid and the whole place got ready for derby day. Ever since, I've wanted julep cups. It's disappointing that these are so wrecked on the inside because the outside looks awesome (now, not when I bought them).

judy, Pattywithay and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ola I was in Louisville twice. One time it was like the heaven's opened up with rain. Other time it was sunny warm and I had my first taste of grits at the hotel. It is lovely there.
    I love Derby day, but am not a drinker at all. Maybe get yourself a mint julep glass that commemorates a day at the races with the horses names on them.

judy likes this.
  7. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Or have it re-plated (if you can find a place that can do it affordably).

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

The recipe I've always used for juleps:
    Pick some fresh mint from the garden, muddle in the bottom of the julep cup with a teaspoon or two of sugar. Wrap some ice in a clean dishrag, whack it with a hammer a few times to crush it, then fill the cup with your smashed ice, top off with bourbon, and give it a little stir. Replenish bourbon as needed. You don't need syrups or mixes. It's really pretty simple.

Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, the recipe is very simple and that's my preference. I like bourbon but I don't like it mixed with much (yuck with Coke or 7Up). "then fill the cup with your smashed ice, top off with bourbon" Yup, bourbon snowcone.
    The only place around here for replating the silver just closed for good recently. I'll have to see if there's a company out of town to ship the cups for plating. I would only do 2 of them and chrome would be nice as well. I still have 3 cups to polish and lo and behold one so far is all good, so there's still hope to get another good one for me and hubs.

10. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I've considered having a Victorian pint mug replated, but with nickel. Any drawbacks to that?

judy likes this.
  11. gregtheelder

gregtheelder Active Member

Hi,
    I have filled in silver plated cups with covering of acrylic. Still drink out of them once or twice a year.
    greg

Figtree3, ola402 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Is that hard to do? It sounds very promising. Is it that stuff they use to fill gaps/holes in wood? A liquid you pour in and wait until it dries? That would work very well. Off to google it.

bercrystal likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Silver is an antibacterial.

14. gregtheelder

Hi OOB,
    The inside is plated and brass is showing through so not so safe to drink out of. That is why I plasticized the inside.
    greg

pearlsnblume and Ownedbybear like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Makes sense!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Greg, how did you do it? The Plasticized thing?

17. gregtheelder

Hi,
    I poured clear acrylic into the cups swirled it around and let it drain. I cut the top smooth (got rid of the drips from drainage). Let it dry for several days and slightly sanded the top. I used to coat glass drinking glasses on the outside in case they dropped near the pool (no broken glass) the acrylic kept the glass pieces stuck to the the coating.
    greg

18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I am definitely doing that. I think it might be the only way I can get my money's worth out of these cups and I'm so looking forward to trying a mint julep.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted