Featured Does anyone have any insight into this antique rooster pin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by mlpimsler, Jun 2, 2021.

1. mlpimsler

mlpimsler New Member

RoosterPinPhotos - 1 (1).jpeg RoosterPinPhotos - 2 (1).jpeg RoosterPinPhotos - 3 (1).jpeg RoosterPinPhotos - 4 (1).jpeg RoosterPinPhotos - 5 (1).jpeg Hello everyone-

I inherited this antique rooster pin. I took it to an appraiser who said that the diamond and sapphires are all natural, and most of the rubies are as well. The metal is sterling silver. Unfortunately, a past owner replaced the pin fastener on the back and there aren't any makers marks or other information anymore on the piece. He suggested that I crowd-source anyone's insight into this piece.

Thank you for your time and attention, and if you have any questions, please ask.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could we get pics on a white background ...in daylight...

and some close ups........please!

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but I also can't see a darned thing in these photos. As Komo said, full daylight on a white background helps.

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  4. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

That pin looks original in this photo. Can you post a picture with it open?

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What else did the appraiser say? Did they date it for you?

If that's silver, that poor puppy needs a good cleaning. Use a foaming polish light Wright's Silver Cream. You apply it with a damp sponge and then rinse it with water so no polish is left behind. DO NOT USE TARNEX OR ANY OTHER DIP!!!!!!!

Yes please, better photos and as Patty asked, with the clasp both open and closed :)

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like it had a trombone clasp and someone soldered a bent stick pin as a replacement.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen one like that but I can see why it might need it since it weighs 35 grams.

kyratango likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree, usually an appraiser will have more info about dating and value. The appraiser asked you to "crowd source" info?

Better photos (as mentioned) would be a help here. This looks brown in color from the photos, not sterling at first glance, but could be coated unless the photo is showing a false color. A little confused that the appraiser told you that "most" of the rubies are natural--so some are not? You'd think the pin would all have the same stones.

I will say this -- if the appraiser is correct that this has natural rubies and diamonds, you should continue to research it, and understand this piece has some good value. The clasp looks positively replaced, so could be there was maker's info on the original clasp now missing.

I don't know if this qualifies as an antique, though. Will await better photos, but would guess maybe 1960s-70s, from the design.

Hamburger and i need help like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The suspense was killing me, I had to do something.:arghh::playful:
    Unfortunately this was the best I could do:

upload_2021-6-3_13-2-5.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-3_13-2-35.jpeg

kyratango, komokwa, Hamburger and 2 others like this.
  10. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Inspired by AJ, but similarly limited by the flash and low resolution:
    RoosterPinPhotos - 4 (1).jpeg
    RoosterPinPhotos - 5 (1).jpeg
    Hoping for better pics -- and definitely want to know more about that appraiser, too! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted