Does anyone know anything about this box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 17, 2024.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_3719.jpeg IMG_3720.jpeg IMG_3721.jpeg IMG_3722.jpeg IMG_3723.jpeg IMG_3724.jpeg
    Hi,
    This is approx 9” wide. Not sure if it is real leather or not. Wondering about age, origin, materiel and anything else about it. It looks old but is it really? What would it have been used for?
    Thanks

Marote likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It looks like it's covered in alligator hide..

Boland and gauntlettgems like this.
  3. antidiem

The clasp does not look like it was an original match, or originally they never matched. I doubt it is Asian. This box reminds me of the kind of items one can buy, if they are fortunate, at the Angola Prison Rodeo in Louisiana once a year or so. Very high quality and significantly odd, one of a kind stuff. I'm not saying it took a boat ride across the pond, but it could be a similar type of item.

The event may be coming up again next weekend. It seems to be a once a year event for prison artists to sell their wares.

Boland and gauntlettgems like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just from what I can see, I'd be figuring 1990s Pier 1 or some such, and Southeast Asian. The clues may be on the bottom, but it just doesn't look old at all.

5. antidiem

The hinges don't match the clasp, although the grommets may. In fact, even the leather handle appears to have come from a different small (overnight type)
    suitcase.

6. antidiem

It may not be old at all, but the suitcase handle has some age to it. It's nicely made and garishly attractive. Apparently assembled from bits and pieces.

gauntlettgems likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we get measurements and weight?

gauntlettgems likes this.
  8. gauntlettgems

It’s only about 9” x 4.5” x 6” and does not weigh more than 2 pounds

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In that case, my best guess is a handbag.

gauntlettgems and antidiem like this.
  10. gauntlettgems

Thank you!!

Draft saved Draft deleted