Featured Does anyone know how to read the cypher in a Stuart Crystal?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by shamster, May 27, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Bought this one but it has not arrived it, here's the photo provided by the original auctioneer: Usually it's a personal monogram but I actually found a lot of stuart crystals bearing the same monogram? Does it stand for a particular individual, and all the hair included in those piece belong to the said individual?

The hypothesis given by the seller is JCM-James Crofts Monmouth, it somehow makes sense as he is actually a leader of a party, so there's possibility that many of these crystals were made for his supporters... is that so?
    1.png

2. shamster

But, at least, the hair colour matches :D

ulilwitch and Marote like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

4. shamster

Yes I saw this one too, but none of the seller or auctioneer tried to uncode it. Also different initials at the back, so it's either the mourner & the mourned, or the mourned's initials at the back, while CWC stands for something else? Like IMO in victorian mourning jewels?

ulilwitch and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Could the pin (i.e. pinning on yourself from right to left) from "my" pic indicate if that "CWC" position is indeed the correct way to look at it?

6. shamster

Hmmm, a good point! And I agree that many dealers read it as CWC as well. But still no idea what that means within 17th-18th century context

kyratango and ulilwitch like this.
  7. shamster

and you can actually find a lot of examples of lower grade bearing the monogram of Charles II, but if those also contains his hair wouldn't that make them much more valuable?

ulilwitch likes this.
  8. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Based on the decoding of your seller, the brooch should be read as JCW. (and still no idea what that means within 17th-18th century context :D)

ulilwitch and shamster like this.
  9. shamster

Not necessary J though, since in Charles II's monogram one of the C is reversed... but usually, if there's many of them, it should belong to someone with higher status

kyratango, ulilwitch and Marote like this.
  10. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

And could the brooch have been something else before?
    upload_2024-5-27_18-38-43.png
    If so, the center piece may have been turned upside down in the process, and then the pin position wouldn't be a valid clue.

11. shamster

Yes, it should be converted from a clasp before, the clasp I bough also have this sturcture. Either way, no clue:hilarious:

Marote likes this.
  12. shamster

Here's an example for a Queen - not terribly fancy huh? 2.png

Marote likes this.
  13. shamster

And V&A does not bother to decode either... must be Devil May Cry! 3.png

Marote likes this.
  14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

15. shamster