Does anyone know what this is ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by S.j.casels, Apr 19, 2019.

1. S.j.casels

S.j.casels New Member

Recently I acquired a camera of some sort but I do not know anything about it and have tried looking online. It sits on a table so that it slides along. The only labeling on the whole piece is "Ross, London no. 929" . Also came with a brass object shown in photos. Does anyone know or can help find out what are the two objects and what they are for
    Regards in advance,
    S.j.casels

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. S.j.casels

S.j.casels New Member

I can't get the photos on this website so I will email them to whoever asks me to
    Apologies
    S.j.casels

4. i need help

They are probably too large. Resize to 1 mb or less.

5. i need help

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks to me like a "view camera", a camera used for large format photos. The camera would be aimed and focused using a ground glass plate (the image would appear upside down), then the ground glass would be replaced by a photo plate (a specially packaged negative) and the picture taken.

A big issue with any bellows camera is the integrity of the bellows. Are there any cracks or pinholes to cause light leaks?

You don't give size, but at a guess this would be for 4x5 negatives.

7. S.j.casels

S.j.casels New Member

judy likes this.
  8. S.j.casels

S.j.casels New Member

No cracks in bellows I will check on the size

9. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

A slide projector - not a camera

PortableTreasures likes this.
  10. S.j.casels

S.j.casels New Member

The picture of it is still on the website https://fonsiemealy.ie/auctions/lot-21310/
    We have put negatives in the slot and shone a light trougth it and it projects a rough projection
    Also a case of phonograph cylinder came with the lot and I'm just wondering if they are worth anything, they are of the the Edison grand concert band

11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Supply far exceeds demand for cylinder records. You're lucky to get $2-5 for most good condition ones.

12. NickRobin

NickRobin Why buy new when you can fix old.

Do you have pictures of the cylinders? I can tell you a little about them.
    I collect them and have learned about the boxes, how to store them, the different types, ect.
    Records are harder to find in good condition than finding the machines.
    If you have a record with the right piece of music or sound it will be worth more, that being said, it is a double edged sword. If you have common or mistreated records then they will be worth a lot less

komokwa and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted