Featured Does Anyone Know Who Made These Antique Art Glass Enameled Perfume Atomizer Bottles?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SYNCHRONCITY, May 7, 2020.

1. SYNCHRONCITY

SYNCHRONCITY Well-Known Member

Hi everyone and sorry this is so long.
    I just started collecting antique and vintage glass perfume atomizer bottles. I am not well versed in glass. I like this particular blue color and don't know what this color is called. Two of them are piston pump perfume bottles with heavy hand blown glass (crystal?). The all blue one with the nickel plated metal piston pump atomizer with the raised enamel paint has the mark of Theophilius Martin from France. While he made the metal hardware, I wonder who made the glass? Could it be Moser glass from Bohemia, French art glass?, Baccarat? If it is Bohemian does anyone know which factory made it?

The second piston pump atomizer that is also nickel plated, has no maker's mark on the metal. I suspect the hardware is American as it is stamped Patent Applied For on the screw on cap/collar. The glass is clear with a colored yellow color panel along with raised little white enameled dotted jeweling and pretty blue enamel droplets of color. The bottom of the glass bottle which is quite heavy and is hand blown (pontil is smoothed out) has a scripted painted faded signature. The first letter has a fancy letter G?. Is this French glass? Does anyone know the maker or recognize the mark?

The other ones are that pretty blue glass with enameling and 2 have the original rubber bulbs. One is pinched glass with some kind of lightly patterned glass (bumpy not smooth glass) and gold enameling. The other smaller one is of lower blue quality glass with enameling. The last one is another blue pinched overshot or crackle glass with gold gilt and is missing the bulb which I will replace. I just bought it from a seller on ebay who is shipping it to me from Hungary. It will be a long trip to make it here to me in New York. Is that Moser glass by any chance? Harrach? Bohemian? French?

There is also a thick hand blown crystal mottled yellowish/gold bottle w/painted scene and stopper. That one is really heavy!

I do know the amber one in one of my background pictures was made by Moser with a gold Frieze warrior design and the red one is probably Bohemian/Czech double crystal in a spinning top design with rocket ship shaped sprayer with original burgundy tasseled bulb and hose and is probably from the 30's. The hardware is marked France, but the glass is most likely Czech.

The one picture shown is of the faded signature on the bottom of the yellow paneled, clear glass and enameled glass nickel metal piston pump atomizer bottle.

If anyone knows the age of these bottles and the maker of the glass, it would be greatly appreciated. I have 6 different art glass and perfume bottle reference books and could not find any comparable ones.

**More Pictures to follow in next post:

BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 5.jpg
    BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 3.jpg
    BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 8.jpg
    BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 9.jpg
    BOHEMIAN  BOTTLE 1.jpg

Some More In My Collection that are identified (American Devilbiss, English cut glass w/silver tops, lay down crystal glass scent bottles and Czech Glass from the 20's and 30's):
    BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 7.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. SYNCHRONCITY

More pics:
    French? Moser? Metal cap marked Patent Applied For. I think the piston pump/hardware is American and the glass European possibly.
    BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 10.jpg
    Faded, Worn Off Painted Signature on Bottom (Is the first letter a faded script G? Galle Signature maybe)?: BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 4.jpg
    BLUE ATOMIZER BOTTLE 11.jpg

Harrach? Moser Glass? Riedl? Stopper has bubbles in it. Rest of glass has no bubbles and the pontil is beautifully polished in a perfect round circle under the base
    BOHEMIAN  BOTTLE 3.jpg
    BOHEMIAN  BOTTLE 2.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hi Synchroncity. I will be able to help you out, but I am way too sleepy to do so tonight. Just a quick look around you do have 1 DeVilbiss bottle. It is the one with the dauber in the second shelf photo. There are quite a few Marcel Franke which are French.

Have a look around this website's virtual museum & I'll drag my books out tomorrow.

http://www.perfumebottles.org/

4. SYNCHRONCITY

Omg! You are so awesome. Thanks. I will be checking out the link. I look forward to hearing what you say when you get the chance. I have a stack of reference books and was thumbing through them. Most of them are from the 1980s-1990s and a lot of the photos in these books are in black a white so it is hard to see if any of them compare to mine for an id. I appreciate your help and am really eager to learn about art glass.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just started......... girl you've been busy !!!! :playful::playful::playful:
    nice collection....

6. SYNCHRONCITY

Oh and I forgot to mention two of them are marked Pyramid (with daubers) and one of them is vaseline glass and glows under a black light. Here are some more pictures:
    BOTTLE  1.jpg
    BOTTLE  2.jpg
    BOTTLE  3.jpg
    BOTTLE  4.jpg
    Pink one and amber carnival glass dauber one with black button top below is marked Devilbiss. The other amber dauber with the encrusted gold is marked Pyramid. I think the amber one with the gold warrior frieze is by Moser for Marcel Franck. It is marked Czechoslovakia on the collar.
    BOTTLE  5.jpg

7. SYNCHRONCITY

Thanks! It is not hard for a shopaholic like myself to get carried away, lol :D I amassed most of them in about 3 months. My husband is not too thrilled. I may be on the next episode of the show Hoarders ;):joyful:

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    pearlsnblume, stracci, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does this contain vanity bottles? Lovely box
    upload_2020-5-7_22-33-35.png

For someone who just started, you sure went straight to the top in quality.

9. SYNCHRONCITY

Gee Thanks! :happy:
    Most of the bottles I have purchased and added to my collection have all cost me in the $5-$30 range. I also look for ones for under $10 that I can replace the missing bulbs and tubes on them to get them for a bargain. I don't generally pay anything over those prices as I hunt for sleepers. I am on a strict budget. Believe it or not I got this one for under $50! It was a great score for me as I could definitely not afford the retail price these go for.

I think the box is called a Boulle Work box. Yes, it does have three crystal bottles (Baccarat)? w/ gold painted star motifs on them. The third bottle on the right has the original perfume still in it! It smells heavenly.

When I removed the interior tray it was lined with an original label and mentioned that was located across the street from the Napoleon III Circus (Cirque Napoléon) which was built in 1852 and the name was changed to Cirque d'hiver in 1870. So this means the box was made anywhere between 1852-1870. The cool part is the ad says Coiffeur Perfumeur. I believe that means that the place that sold it was a hairdresser and a perfume dealer. It is cool to find out hairdressers back then also sold perfume too.

Here are some pics:
    BOULLE 1.jpg
    BOULLE 2.jpg BOULLE 3.jpg
    Boulle 4.jpg
    Boulle 5.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

take a number...!! :playful::woot::woot::woot:

12. SYNCHRONCITY

I just want to thank you again for giving this link to me. It is so informative. I am drooling over all of these bottles. I LOVE this site. Another site I found that I love is this one. The woman who put this together does amazing blogs:
    https://perfumeatomizers.blogspot.com/

13. Bronwen

I'll take as many as I can get.

14. SYNCHRONCITY

I bet you and I would be best friends if you lived near me : ) We like the same things. I have to cut it out though because my husband said if bring one more bottle into our house he is going to throw them all in the garbage. He doesn't collect anything and thinks collecting antiques is a waste of money.

When I order something online, I watch the tracking number like a hawk and find the mailman before he rings my bell and delivers the package which would alert my husband. This is turning into a full blown addiction, lol I wish this site had a 12 step program I could join where one of you would talk me out of adding more things to my collection. Hi my name is Synchronicity and I am an antique shopaholic :D

15. SYNCHRONCITY

Do you collect bottles or glass? What do you collect mostly? I am just getting to know all you wonderful people and am nosy, lol.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love that pink one with the atomic style transfers on it. The box is fab.

17. Bronwen

Hah! Can you say "enablers"?

I love art glass, although have always recognized that I simply do not have space to seriously indulge. Some of mine takes the form of kaleidoscopes. These days I stick to smaller things.

I have wondered if that's not what your user name is supposed to be. Too long?

Has he looked at interest rates lately? Collecting money is a waste of money.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Despite the metal inlay, I would think the box is more marquetry than Boulle.

19. SYNCHRONCITY

Thank you. Actually, it is reddish glass and looks pink in my pics. My bad lighting washed it out. It is really an interesting piece of glass. Do you collect antique teddy bears by any chance since I see the word bear in your user name? If yes, I collect antique and vintage teddy bears and would love to chat about them with you.

KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  20. SYNCHRONCITY

I have no room either. You should see the way I try to get creative in finding spots to display them, lol. Ha Ha! I tell my husband some of my antique acquisitions are better than investing in the stock market right now with way better return when I decide to sell some of them. He still thinks it is junk that takes up space :(.

He said if I kick the bucket before he does, he is going to rent a big dumpster and toss all my antiques in it. This is why I told both of my teenage daughters to grab them before he throws them out and let them know it is part of their inheritance. I even make youtube videos for each item I get, explaining what they are, how old they are and the history of the item if I know what it is, for future reference for them. My husband seriously needs to learn to appreciate these things. If I expire and he throws my antiques out, I will come back and haunt him, lol :p:D

KikoBlueEyes, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted