Does anyone recognise this table bell?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Linda Froyland, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Linda Froyland

Linda Froyland New Member

Bell.jpg Bell2.jpg Hi,

Just joined today - I live in Norway and am sorting out things which I inherited from my mother. Her ancestry came from England and Germany. I have no idea where this bell comes from and am hoping one of you will recognise it and can tell me about it.
    Many thanks.
    Best regards,
    Linda

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome Linda!
    If you go back to your photos and click the first box “display all images full size” they will be easier to view.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Aquitaine, judy, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  4. Linda Froyland

Thank you for your help :)

judy, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

WHY YOUSE ALL PICKIN' ON ME FER!?

bells.jpg

...Oh, right...

Hey Linda.

Your bell looks early 20th century. Probably Edwardian era (1900-1914). Heavily decorated bases were still popular then, but so was the more compact, flatter look that we have today. Your bell is made of brass, and nickel-plated. That's about all I can tell you. Finding out who made it will be next to impossible unless you can find old advertising material.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If'n y'all don't want to be bothered......don't show us yer stuff !! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

judy likes this.
  7. i need help

Is there something else stamped here? 9567C73C-08D9-4DC8-B55C-25CBD33E601B.jpeg

judy likes this.
  8. i need help

Beautiful Shangas, the leaves on the center one are very nice!

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Hahahaha!!

The ones I have are all Victorian. By the end of the 1800s, the pedestal-type bell was considered old-fashioned. I don't think I've ever seen one that was made after 1900.

judy and Houseful like this.
  10. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Hard to see but are the numbers a patent mark?

11. i need help

The numbers seem to be 7 180/8

rhiwfield likes this.
  12. rhiwfield

On my tablet atm so patent searches are hard work. But maybe search GB 7180/08.

But may well be a red herring

i need help likes this.
  13. i need help

I’m not so familiar with the patent site. I gave it a shot, but not sure I did it correctly.:(
    Maybe when your at a desktop, you could post the link, I’d like to learn how to search.

14. rhiwfield

I have a short guide on patent searches on my Penllyn Collectables website (Guides, patent searches). Not sure if this is a patent number but it deserves a check.

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

Ok I think I did it correctly, after looking at your instructions (very good)! I also tried 7130. Feel free to re-check later.

16. Linda Froyland

Hi, The numbers are 7. 130/8 Do you know what they could mean? Thank you so much :)

17. Linda Froyland

Hi, No stamp other than 7 130/8. I have Googled this bell as well and I think it stems from Germany. They used them in hotel receptions. My Great Grandmother was a chef at a hotel in Germany and I am now wondering if there is a connection. This I cannot prove of course. If you have any knowledge of the stamp - greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help :)

18. Linda Froyland

19. rhiwfield

Yes, had a look this morning via espacenet, too few numbers to be a patent I think.

Based on the way German firms identify pottery, the number sequence may be a combination of product/size

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Linda Froyland

Thank you so much for your answer. Sounds very likely what you said about product and size. :)