Featured Does anyone recognize this all metal crank type record player?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Jun 4, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This came with a lot of other things that I wanted & was in a box with some Emerson 7" c.1918 double disc records. The records seem to sell pretty well & I figured maybe I could sell this thing for parts. Problem is that it is not marked anywhere I could see.

It is 8 1/4" (includes the little jut out area for the arm) by 5" across the top & is 4 3/4" to the top of the turntable.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

BTW if you can't help with this one I have multiple other things up today for help in IDing. ;):D:D:D:D

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You say the body is made of metal? It seems to fit the general style of some listed online as being from the 1920s. Maybe even earlier. What is that light-colored arc on the side? Was a label there at one time?

I don't know much about these, but it's interesting. Could it have been used in the military, or some other government-related use? Not very attractive looking for a general consumer.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. bercrystal

I think there may have originally been a knob there. :confused:

This is a real possibility. The guy whose estate this came out of was a huge toy collector. The auction house has had multiple auctions already with loads of his stuff & we are no where even close to being done. There have been some seriously cool old wind-up tin toys sold so far. :happy::happy::happy:

Thanks!!! :D:D:D

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

The one that Kronos linked has a sticker in approximately the same place that the arc is on yours. Maybe it was a children's toy and there was a different sticker there!

Here's a video of a Genola record player in action.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    komokwa likes this.
  6. bercrystal

7. Figtree3

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Christmasjoy, kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  9. bercrystal

That would explain also why the image showed up when I did a Google search for Genola.

I don't expect to make anything near what the closed listing made, but it gave me hope that there might be someone out there that might buy this one for parts.

I am already well into profit on the lot this came out of & I have only sold one item, so anything I get is just gravy. :smug::smug::smug:

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  10. bercrystal

11. Figtree3

Congratulations!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. bercrystal

Thanks Fig!! :happy::happy:

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. Figtree3

By the way, I hadn't looked at your closed listing when I congratulated you. Nice listing! And 20 bids. Looks like some interest out there in this kind of record player.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. bercrystal

Thanks again!! :happy::happy:

I have actually had multiple bids on several of my auctions in the last couple of weeks. It has been a refreshing change. :D:D

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Christmasjoy and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted