Does anyone recognize this illustration - little girl dancing with gentleman pig?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Bookahtoo, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I bought this at a local antique store. It was matted with the pig and girl facing out. When I removed it from the mat (it was glued in), I found the group picture on the other side.
    It was clearly torn out of a book - but there is no writing on either side. It seems odd that there is a lack of background/scenery in either picture. Is it possible this was from an artist's portfolio? The colors look hand done. The size is 8 1/2" by 11".

DSCN3576 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    DSCN3578 - Copy (2).JPG

DSCN3583 - Copy (2).JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

They are nothing that Google Image search recognizes, but Google is not the "be all and end all" by any means.

Are they prints, or watercolor?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

They look to me like hand-colored prints. The dancers are adorable, but what's going on with the second? A drunk guy by a lamp-post and a shocked couple looking at a giant boy?

Edit - I guess the lamp post guy is laughing...

KingofThings likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That boy reminds me of the son of a friend of mine. He grew 13 inches in one year!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Definitely out-grew his clothes from head to toe at a swift pace! Looks like it should go with either a story or a poem.

Love the piggy!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. silverthwait

I love the piggy one too. However, the style of the other looks very familiar...

KingofThings likes this.
  7. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

8. Bookahtoo

I think you'e right about the pig one lauragarnet.
    Gila - I think he is laughing too - and I think the couple behind the tall kid are his parents. Look how embarrassed the woman is, and how angry the man is.

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The dancing pig sketch is probably based on the 1907 4 minute burlesque film
    "The Dancing Pig" - original title "Le cochon danseur" - by the French company Pathe.

"In the film, a giant anthropomorphic pig, dressed in human fancy clothes, dances with a girl, who later embarrasses him by tearing his clothes off. The two start to dance together, then walk into the curtains behind them. A disturbing scene is then shown where you see the pig moving his tongue and eyes around and then baring his teeth."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Cochon_Danseur

https://www.google.com/search?q=The...ved=0ahUKEwj4l62j1PTJAhUGHh4KHQJzCmQQ_AUIBigB

The sketch looks like something that might have appeared in the New Yorker?

--- Susan

10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Ladybranch, I like that you found the "Dancing Pig" video . . . but ugh x 10 it was creepy, verrrrry creepy. :eek:

I will say though that the pig costume was quite well done.;)

KingofThings and silverthwait like this.
  11. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

HI, folks. I'll mention my usual excuse of being too old to find my way home. But will ask those in better mental shape to take a good look at the tall kid. The overall look, the hat, the expression, physique, his especially, and the other faces, Etc., etc., etc. brings my thoughts to an early 20th century cartoonist/artist. The rest of the characters fit also. New Yorker?
    Magazine, that is.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  12. silverthwait

This going to drive me mad! (Madder?) I absolutely KNOW I have seen cartoons in the style of the second one. The nose on the fellow on the right is distinctive... I can't really see the young gentleman as living in the pages of the New Yorker -- but something similar perhaps? Or, same artist, different subject matter for the New Yorker.

Something British perhaps?

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

The second one vaguely reminds me of Cruikshank's regency era cartoons/lampoons.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. TheOLdGuy

silverthwaite, at least you have agreed on its existence. And I feel almost as strongly as you do. I KNOW I'VE SEEN MANY by that artist.
    I scanned some old NY's and Cruikshanks on line and can't find anything close. I also have NY's book of psychiatrist cartoons that is always in the way, but has now hidden deeply away somewhere because I want to flip through it.

Yes, maybe English. Mr. and Mrs. clothes?
    A funny paper cartoonist?
    Just noticed the kid's shoes. Yes, maybe Mom & Dad upset at his uncontrollable growth.
    Are we taking the "drunk against the light pole" as common, or might he be laughing so hard he's crying? No flask or bottle visible!

Anyway, I still have presents to wrap so will expect, hope, that the light goes ON in someone's head before I make it back here. Which might not be until Sat./Sunday.

15. silverthwait

LOL! Googling brought up a site that has 86 THOUSAND British cartoons.

Gobsmacked!!

16. TheOLdGuy

OK I'll give you a week beyond my certain return. Be sure to save the pictures and footnotes so you can properly compare them. Thank you. Much appreciated.
    :bored:

Jen and George likes this.
  17. silverthwait

18. Bookahtoo

Thank you for the link ladybranch.
    I have to disagree that the picture and that repulsive film are related however.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I keep coming back to this thread... not to be of any assistance, but it does look so familiar!

KingofThings and silverthwait like this.
  20. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I just watched 4 DVDs full of Edison movies and thought this may be one of his in conjunction with Pathe' but don't believe so now.
    ~
    :)
    >>> America's first motion picture industry can trace its roots to the Hudson River towns of New Jersey, especially Fort Lee. Nestor Studios (which merged into Universal Studios) began in Bayonne. Pathé, the France-based company that during the first part of the 20th century was the largest film equipment and production company in the world and established an American factory and studio facility in The Heights in 1910, the building of which still stands overlooking Paterson Plank Road. It also established the Eclectic Film Company as a subsidiary distribution company for both its American and European product. Although the Jersey City plant produced moderately popular comedies, dramas, and newsreels largely directed at the US market, Perils of Pauline was the first American-made Pathé effort to achieve worldwide success under the Eclectic banner. <<< Me> The tracks used for the PoP are no longer there in the huge vacant area under the beginning of the Hudson Palisades and below Christ Hospital which stands on them high above. This was a huge freight yard at one time as literally most of what was sent across the continent went through Jersey City first.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted