Does anyone recognize this little figurine - wood bird? w/ spring neck.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bercrystal, Oct 13, 2019.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

This piece was in a box of assorted figurines. It is not marked. The collar & feet are plastic. It is missing something at the back of the head. It is 5 1/4" tall.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this cute penguin(?) before, but it looks like the work that came out of the German Ore Mountains, the region on either side of the border with Czechia (the Czech Republic).

i need help, bercrystal and judy like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

found this photo of one, looks like feathers on the back of the head:) Sorry, no information on it but maybe you can read something on the label (I couldn't)
    H5483-L43013785.jpg

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

At first I thought it was the thing that would bend and dip it's beak into water from the 70's or so?
    Interesting.

cxgirl and i need help like this.
  5. bercrystal

@cxgirl - Thank you so much!! :kiss::kiss:

I was not able to read the sticker, but maybe @i need help can isolate that area & make it bigger. :happy::happy:

No the least little bit of movement sends his head bobbing around in every direction. I had a devil of a time getting a clear photo because even the ceiling fan was making it move. :p:p:p

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Passing the buck, to @Aquitaine, if she’s available, I’m not the best at that. Would look nice on a car dashboard! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. bercrystal

Thanks INH!! :happy::happy:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

When we were small kids my brother had a similar looking wooden thing ... one could press the head back down into the neck and then press a little button on the bottom base and the head would spring up again, not saying this works the same and it could be risky to try it ... Joy.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@bercrystal, I ran it through the TopazAI program, and that's THE BEST I could make it do, and that's not saying much.....STILL pretty much illegible........sorry!!

X3ZZZZZZ H5483-L43013785-edit.jpg

10. bercrystal

I tried pushing the head down & seeing if the spot in the bottom had any give to it. I admit I didn't try to hard, but there was negative results to both.

Thank you for trying. :kiss::kiss:

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

8B4EA838-E3A3-4224-8E2D-0F219FD4DB6E.jpeg DA7A572A-F6BB-4ECE-B65C-E9AE1F2F7632.jpeg This was a no longer available from Etsy, via Pinterest. Has a clicker tail?

12. bercrystal

@i need help Thank you again for your research skils!!! :kiss::kiss:

Obviously this was a thing at some point. :wacky::wacky: :happy::happy:

Mine definitely did not have any type of clicker in the back.

Now the question of the day, what category should I list this piece? :confused::confused::confused:

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Bobbleheads, nodders might be good Peggy.

bercrystal and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

Others who sell will know best. I might suggest novelty bobble head, or such?

15. ilikeoldstuff

ilikeoldstuff New Member

16. bercrystal

Thanks pearls!! :happy::happy: I never even gave bobbleheads a thought. :p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum @ilikeoldstuff !! :happy::happy:

That looks like the one @i need help posted above, but in slightly better condition. :happy:

i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I was looking for sites on the history of bobbleheads and found out that there is a National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
    https://www.bobbleheadhall.com/history/

Surprising!

i need help and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted