Does the "M" after the name in this painting mean something?

Discussion in 'Art' started by say_it_slowly, Nov 28, 2016.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This small still life oil painting on board is signed J. Bernal M. 87. There is a Jose Bernal that is well known but this signature is different than those I've seen as this is all block letters. The image size is about 4" X 5½" and is framed.

So I'm wondering if the "M" following the name means something. Some version of junior or copy etc?

Sorry for the bad photos but I took them with my phone.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u sure that's an M ??
    The N looks pretty standard ...

say_it_slowly likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a second surname, as common in Spanish-speaking countries. (If an "M," most likely "Martínez.") Looks like someone preparing arepas so check out artists from Colombia or Venezuela.

Debora

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

Could be an "N" I suppose but my first thought is "M".

Interesting about surnames only using the initial. I guess that works if people know you.

I googled common surnames beginning with "M" for Colombia and Argentina. The list is Mendoza, Medina, Marquez, Martinez, Montilla, Munoz, Moreno and Montoya. You'd think they'd want to make it clearer who they are but artistic license I guess.

I'll look some more.:)

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Spanish family naming conventions go Firstname Fathersname Mothersname (and so on in the maternal line as far as you can trace it). Legally the first name is your "last name" but using the M would differentiate Joachim Bernal-Mendoza from Juan Bernal-Espinoza-Cardinale-Martinez-Lopez (yada yada). It was a way of knowing who as who in the absence of people who could keep written records, among other reasons no doubt. Gila might know better, and might know where that tradition is still upheld.

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

That's as much as I know, Evelyb.
    Mexican-Americans and even South of the border for hundreds of miles... people I know of have given it up.

Well, whaddya know? Is this our guy?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Bernal
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Bernal
    José
    Antonio Severino Bernal Muñoz (January 8, 1925 – April 19, 2010

say_it_slowly and komokwa like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Gila I don't know. I've looked at lots of his paintings and while he is versatile enough to have painted this style, I can't find a matching sig. He didn't seem to use the "M" and he didn't use all block/capital letters that I've found.

8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Draft saved Draft deleted