Featured Does this Meissen crossed sword mark look genuine?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Sep 27, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

The swords especially in the first pic look too straight and they usually cross much lower on the sword not that high up. In all the sweetmeat examples I see the lady is wearing pearls. BUt maybe this is just an older example?
    H19840-L224742778.jpg H19840-L224742528.jpg H19840-L224742648.jpg H19840-L224742544.jpg H19840-L224742480.jpg H19840-L224742515.jpg H19840-L224742559.jpg H19840-L224742602.jpg

moreotherstuff, judy, Rec and 3 others like this.
  2. sunday silence

like if scroll about 1/4 of the way down it has pics called "examples of actual marks" and the first pic does show the swords crossed that high, but they look a little more hand drawn. the cross guard is not so straight. How picky do we have to be in regards to the mark?

https://antique-marks.com/meissen-marks.html

judy and Rec like this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Very difficult as Meissen marks have been copied so much but these pieces are clearly made by a top factory - they look to be very high quality from the photos so I would incline towards genuine - but don't take my word as gospel.There appears to be an impressed number sadly I can't make it out but that would help you.

judy, Rec, aaroncab and 6 others like this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

What JBrassey said: These look abfab lovely.

judy, johnnycb09 and Janice Nicholls like this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Wow. Stunning pieces!

judy, johnnycb09 and Janice Nicholls like this.
  6. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

They look pretty good to me! And, those figurines are top quality.

judy and blooey like this.
  7. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Those are superb! I don't think the necklaces have to do with the age. The ladies with the necklaces have a headband in their hair, while the ladies with the head scarves are not bejeweled.

judy likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

In the first pic on the left ,is that an "H" in red ? They scream quality,dont they ?

judy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@sunday silence, if you rub some cinnamon in those numbers/marks that are hard to see, it may give you some better clarification.....I couldn't get a better image to enhance for you, but you have them in hand!! They are pristine, and GORGEOUS!!! There appears to be more writing in the bottom figure on the left.....but it was harder to see.....

BASE-gigapixel-scale-1_25x.jpg

LIbraryLady likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

these won't come cheap!

judy likes this.
  11. sunday silence

thanks for all your help. They do look excellent. THese are a smaller version about 5" tall and 7" wide. Larger versions are 7" tall and 12" wide.

judy likes this.
  12. Josiah wurm

Josiah wurm Member

wow. those are beautiful.

judy and Rec like this.
  13. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

They are really nice !!!!

judy and Rec like this.
  14. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

"Kavalier und Schale" and "Dame und Schale" thats the name of the figurines.
    They are certainly very beautiful and very neetly done but possible
    not Meissen.
    bacuse both the man and the woman should have different colors of clothing and the colors should be not pastel but vibrant. Woman should also have a necklace. if you have an account you can compare them via the below link

https://meidabank.de/en/search?q=2872

the woman's model number must be 370;
    man's model number must be 2872

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  15. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

16. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Good grief! What an incredible website. :woot: Thanks for posting that, Rec.

Since Sunday Silence said that these are a small size compared to the others, do you think might be why there's a difference in the necklace/headband vs no necklace/headscarf?

I wonder if the background is making these more pastel than what they really are. The figurines on that website that have a white background also look washed out compared to the ones on dark backgrounds.

judy likes this.
  17. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

the background and lighting can indeed affect the photos, but if you look at the photos, you will see that not only the vibrancy of the colors but also the colors and the base is different. for example the woman's dress or the man's pants,

don't forget that Meissenmark is one of the most copied marks. This one is probably a very well done copy. maybe bristol ... or some other company

they are high-quality but probably not original Meissen

judy likes this.
  18. sunday silence

Yeah this is all very interesting. The size of these was smaller than the usual 7" tall figures, these were 5" tall. WHich leads me to wonder why knock off a smaller, less well known version when you can do the larger one?

In any event, they went down at auction for $450 plus fees and taxes (probably another $110). WHich was too pricey for me. The worth point data base shows knock offs of these that still command good prices. The marks seemed a little to suspicious Ive mentioned that above.

judy likes this.
  19. sunday silence

Hello Rec: just a follow and for future reference. Did you find the actual mark itself to be suspicious? If these were really old they would be hand painted and these swords look a little too perfect. Also they are not crossed down low but rather up high. Also the pommel at the base looks a little too big but I dunno. A couple days ago I saw a photo of a Meissen mark on Dr. Lori's site that looked a lot like these so I dunno. ANy insight you can add would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for all your insights here.

Rec and judy like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

whatever they are, they're quality.

Rec and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted