Featured Does this type of enamelling have a name? Japanese?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 8, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

IMG_5585.JPG This pendant is enamelled which made it difficult to photograph without reflection.
    Under magnification it looks like tiny blobs of glass or bubbles make up the picture. Does this method of enamelling have a name?. Am I right in thinking Japanese?. Is it vintage or just trying to be?. Chain isn't contemporary, don't know about the bail. Approx 5cm across on concave metal.
    Thanks for looking :)

IMG_2350.jpg IMG_2351.jpg IMG_2352.jpg IMG_2353.jpg IMG_2355.jpg Image_2020-04-08 20_19_14_771.JPG Image_2020-04-08 20_18_40_961.JPG Image_2020-04-08 20_18_20_781.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

How about Pretty.

Sorry can't help. I was trying to id the bird with no luck. It's not a Chinese or Japanese pheasant. The head looks like a peacock but not the tail.

i need help, KSW and Xristina like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for trying anyway. It is very pretty!. I've scoured websites about enamel but can't find anything that looks like these little bubbly bits. I thought pheasants as they have tails very like the pheasants in the UK but the heads are wrong. Bird ID isn't my strong point.:chicken:

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I cannot help, KSW, but thank you for pointing this out, it's very pretty.

i need help and KSW like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe it is a Phoenix?

Any Jewelry and gauntlettgems like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou for looking. It's been in my stash for a year or so and I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't looked closely as I thought it was just a transfer. This lockdown means lots of pieces are getting to see the light and it keeps me sane posting about bits of jewellery when there is so much depressing stuff to see on the news. I find it fascinating how, when and where things are made.

kyratango, i need help and antidiem like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Could well be an artists impression of what he thinks a bird should look like!.

i need help and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like transfer art to me. I have a horse head on a similar piece, but I think mine is a transfer. When I was young, I could see the dot pattern on it. I'm not sure I even still have it. It will be a while until I look at my own costume jewelry stashes, they are small and packed away.

i need help likes this.
  9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    Maybe a bird of paradise after a buzz cut?
    Actually, I have seen them with plumage on their heads, but cannot find a good representation as of yet.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    KSW, antidiem and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  10. flipper

Look at the Golden (Chinese) Pheasant
    [​IMG][​IMG] Cool....

KSW and antidiem like this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Not a Golden Pheasant, no distinctive neck feathers. Seems more like this pheasant on this Hiroshige woodblock print.
    2F4A8019-85CC-466B-B6E0-82A37E0EBA80.jpeg

Any Jewelry, KSW, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  12. flipper

Actually, yours looks much more similar...I just got caught up in the beauty of the Golden and wanted to show the others:rolleyes:

KSW and Houseful like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That bird is a lot more similar.
    Pointing to Japanese, rather than Chinese.
    Which is how I was leaning.

KSW likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

To me the style looks like contemporary Chinese, or perhaps western chinoiserie, but not Japanese. I think the circular patterns in the enamel would be created by using a fine brush or probe to touch/drip the enamel. I don't know a name for such a technique though.

KSW and i need help like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

16. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

The Japanese had a mythical bird (but looked similar to your picture.) They called it a Rising Pheonix, Flying Turkey or Howo bird. You see it a lot on their china and in paintings.

KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  17. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

2manybooks, Any Jewelry, KSW and 3 others like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

He's amazing!. Looks like my little daughters paint palette. Ooh, let's have some bright yellow, but I want bright red too...and some green. I think God ran out of imagination for his legs though :hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  19. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Are you possibly thinking of moriage? The decorating medium looks almost piped on. It doesn't look blistered though, maybe an accidental over-heating? moriage.jpg moriage2.png

KSW likes this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They look exactly like they were done from a kid's paint set with only primary colors. When courting, those neck feathers can be raised to form almost a shield around the head, shadowing the face, cutting out sun glare & no doubt sexy as all get out to lady golden pheasants.

kyratango, judy and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted