Doll ID

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Auntneet, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Auntneet

Auntneet New Member

Was wondering if anyone can provide info on this mark - doll appears to be bisque, dated 1977. Thank you! See attached file

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Can we see the doll? Oh and welcome. :)

i need help and judy like this.
  3. Auntneet

Auntneet New Member

Thank you! They’re a set, the girl (on the left) isn’t stamped. I’m washing the clothes - they were very stained.

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Hi Auntneet .. They are both reproduction dolls .. Joy.

5. Christmasjoy

Reproduced to look like antique bisque dolls ... Joy.

6. Auntneet

Auntneet New Member

Interesting... do you know what the “P” stands for? I’m not a collector, just bought them for my sister. They’re in good shape - no chips

7. Christmasjoy

I really can't see a P there, in fact the marking is too blurry. Many people made these reproduction dolls back then, and still do, bought a kiln and a mold .. paints and they were set to go. The mark could be ANYBODY .. there are thousands of these type of dolls out there. You could buy these cheaply in stores too .. they will make a nice gift for someone if they like dolls ... Joy.

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think the "P" is a "T."

Debora

Christmasjoy, i need help and Jivvy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Auntneet.
    I think it is a T as well:
    upload_2018-8-19_9-18-44.jpeg

@Christmasjoy, @judy, would 1977 be a date or a model nr?
    They look American to me, what do you think? Maybe that helps to narrow the search down, but I guess it doesn't influence the value much since they are reproduction dolls.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Auntneet! Welcome to Antiquers!

I can't offer much more other than to say the body construction on the dolls appears to be different. They are similar in style, but I think the doll head on the right appears to be of better quality.

They did not necessarily start off as a pair. The clothing might tell a different story.

I agree with Joy that they appear to be home made dolls......at least the bodies.

All body parts can be bought through catalogues. Heads, arms, legs, bodies etc. and then assembled at home.

When antique dolls became very desirable/collectible, so did a new enterprise begin......reproduction dolls.

The reproduction dolls can be found in many thrifts, yard sales, etc. The clothing is usually lavish.

Enjoy them if you love them.

11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Auntneet.

12. Christmasjoy

Auntneet .. I believe the '1977' is the date when they were made ... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted