Doll info

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rayo56, May 1, 2016.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

For the first thing I can't believe there isn't a Doll forum! But anyhoo - I was brought in this vintage doll by a lady - she knew nothing about the composition body that had no marks on it but she told me the dress (blue colonial) was rare and worth selling NOT the doll.
    Anybody can identify or help me identify? 000_7003.jpg 000_7001.jpg 000_7007.jpg 000_7003.jpg 000_7001.jpg 000_7007.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

No marks on the back of the head? She may be a Shirley Temple doll (don't know though).

cxgirl likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

The dress resembles the Little Colonel dress on Shirley Temple.
    [​IMG]

Rayo56 likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Wanttoknow likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

No - I've sold so many ST dolls - she is not! Thanks!!

Brenda Anna likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Rayo, the first link that Say It Slowly provided is for the doll forum on Ebay. At one time it was the best place to ask just about anything doll related. It has been a few years since I've used it so not sure how active it is. Might be worth posting your question there, but would require an Ebay login, etc.

Best of luck.

Rayo56 and cxgirl like this.
  9. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

I am sure: "Yikes - creepy" is about the doll at the bottom of page from that link. And I also think it is: Yikes - creepy! :nailbiting:

Brenda Anna and Rayo56 like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't scroll down enough. Yes, there it is! Yikes-Creepy...

Brenda Anna, Rayo56 and Wanttoknow like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There were lots of Shirley Temple lookalikes created, as you might already know. I did some research on this a few years ago when I bought one for my mother. I think you have one of those.

There is a ton of information about the lookalikes, but unfortunately it's not usually definitive if the doll is not marked.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

If she is not marked by Ideal, then she is a Shirley Temple lookalike. Since you have sold so many prior, then I'm sure you looked at the back of the head or the upper body.

I think she's great!!

Brenda Anna and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

I think you're right about that...Those dimples are a give away.

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I still have one of the original compo Shirley Temple's. Unfortunately, like so many other collectibles, value has changed. She still wears her original dress.....accordian pleated, but neither the doll or the dress is perfect. The doll is marked on the back of her head....maybe the body too, but I haven't looked recently. And the dress is tagged.

I loved ST, and for me there will never be another like her.

Brenda Anna and say_it_slowly like this.
  15. say_it_slowly

Couldn't agree more she was dazzling!

judy likes this.
  16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yes - the Ideal trademark is on the lower back of the head and is also marked on her body between the shoulder blades with "SHIRLEY TEMPLE" and the size of the doll under that - hard to see from my picture but if you look real good you can make out the marks
    [​IMG]

17. Figtree3

The lookalike doll that I bought was actually made by Ideal, too! And marked Ideal (but not marked Shirley Temple). Apparently there was something about a contract and how many Shirleys Ideal was allowed to make, or something like that. So they sometimes made lookalikes. But the one I bought would not be confused with the "official" Shirley Temple doll, when compared with photos of her.

You wrote in a previous post that you had sold many ST dolls before... but even though yours says "Shirley Temple" you don't think it is Shirley... am I understanding correctly?

Just FYI, here is a photo of the lookalike doll that I bought. You can see that she's very different. I think her name was Ginger, or something similar. Her eyes are odd... no eyelashes.

IMG_0044-2 (311x640).jpg

18. Figtree3

And by the way... I paid nowhere near the amount on the tag. The tag was left from a previous sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted