Domed Trunk Repair Advice

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by joe blowski, Apr 21, 2024.

1. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Hi, working on a dome top trunk and would like some advice on a couple of topics. I just got finished washing it down hence the white discoloration.

The hardware was originally 'brass' colored and is now scuffed to the zinc silver. Anyone know how to recolor it back to an brass? Any product recommendations?

The second has to do with the handle caps. I'd like to reuse them which means either removing them w/out destruction or digging out the remanents of the leather and inserting the new handles. I haven't had success using an oscillating tool - destroyed them. To complicate matters, the interior is in good shape so I'm reluctant to tear it up to get to the clinched nails. Any advice here?

afront1.jpg adetail1.jpg ahandle2.jpg ahandle1.jpg

Marote and komokwa like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would think the fittings steel with a brass wash. Think you either need to live with it as-is, strip off the rest of the brass, or paint a color you like. Only way I know to remove the handle caps cleanly is from the inside nails. Yes, you will disturb the paper inside. Why not just leave them alone? Part of the charm of these trunks is in showing their age..... IMHO.

Sedona and komokwa like this.
  3. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Hi, after cleaning the trunk on the weekend, I sprayed it with a light coat of shellac to see what 'problems' there are. I'm agreeing with Brad here; the (partially) brassed fitting look pretty good!

The handle is missing on one side so I'm going to have to perform surgery to remove the handle caps. I've found the whitish drip marks disappear after a coating of shellac. As always, thanks for you thoughts!

Draft saved Draft deleted