Featured Double Barreled Pinfire Pistol; Not Military, But...

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by wlwhittier, Jun 4, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This was a gift from the remnants of an Estate with very many fine firearms. I didn't get any of the others, but I'm happy to have this one.

The calibre is .44, barrels length 4½"; weight is ~12½ ounces. The triggers are recessed until the hammers are fully cocked; at half-cock (the relaxed hammer position when loaded), the barrel may be unlatched and raised to allow cartridges to be inserted. After insertion, the barrel is lowered to latch, and the hammers may then be full-cocked, exposing the triggers. When fired, the hammers come to rest upon the ends of the barrels, having driven the pins into the cartridges.

I've had it as far apart as I'm comfortable with, looking for any proof marks, makers or national markings...all without success. It is, as far as I can determine, an orphan. Something about it says French...but I wouldn't bet a dime on that. File marks abound; this was largely a hand-made weapon. I would like to know more about it...Thanks for lookin'!
    fullsizeoutput_43ad.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43ae.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43b1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43b2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43b5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43b9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43ba.jpeg fullsizeoutput_43b4.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s a very cool looking and interesting thing.

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

very pretty little boot pistol/french derringer (but is it too big ?).

7. Vendric

Vendric Member

I had one very similar 30 years ago and was then of the opinion that it was Spanish. I remember thinking that the barrel seemed to be very poorly made and that it might well have been as dangerous to the user as to the target! I think it fired a shotgun cartridge, rather than a solid bullet.

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

God,I haven't been to an Estate Firearms in years.Those old handcrafted guns were sometimes quite beautiful and sometimes sturdily utilitarian.The way they made tools back then,even after WWII was strong,then in the 80's & 90's they started goin' to...

Draft saved Draft deleted