Double School Desk

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vintagedownsouth, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Hey All - trying to find some information on this desk. I can't find a lot of information on double school desks in general, let alone this one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2017-12-8_23-55-53.jpeg

ya , the doubles are hard to get info on....:(

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You're NOT kidding!!! I did some serious looking....some similar out there, but couldn't find one just like yours!!!! Would you say that's 1920's or earlier??

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Earlier by the 1920s we had single desks but with an ink well but NO slotted place to lay your pencil. In the 40s we had the inkwell and a place to put your pencil. In the 50s the ink well disappeared.
    greg

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

And pigtails became the norm again....................... ;)

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Yes I remember the double desk in the forties, it had an inkwell and space for pencil, it came complete with a nasty bully of a boy who shared it with me, I was about 8 yrs old .. LOVED it when the single desks appeared .. Joy :)

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You were in school in the 20's???????????? :eek:

8. KingofThings

He was standing there when the school was put up...
    ;)

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bakersgma,
    No but we did not get new school equipment until the 40s. We were way out in the boonies and the first 3 grades were in the same room with the same teacher. Then we only had 4th and 5th with the same teacher. It was 6th grade when we had a single class with one teacher. However it was still strange since we had a MALE teacher!!!!! i remember him since he was my family's insurance agent. His name was Mr. Bruno, the best thing about him was he got me a speech therapist. I started to stutter in third grade by the time I was in sixth it was really bad. Miss Janice came to my school twice a week and I had a half hour session with her twice a week. She started to have me read a book to her. It was sooooo humiliating. She started with a simple book and it took me hours to read it out aloud. I finally explained that I was reading much more advanced books but I could not speak them. I could read them and tell her what they said but could not read them out aloud without stumbling over every word. Amazed that I was reading high school books but could not speak even simple books she started to have me speak into a tape recorder and played it back. Within four months I no longer stuttered except when I was very nervous or excited. That even went away.
    greg

10. KingofThings

Wow!!! :(
    I started to do that with a friend who did.
    My Dad promptly curtailed that friendship.
    I stopped in days I think.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think stuttering is one of the most difficult speech difficulties therapists deal with.... no one thing works for most students.......

12. KingofThings

‘The King’s Speech’.
    :)

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted