Doulton Burslem - Confusing Marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One of the delightful things about old transfer ware is that you can often see that it was done by a real person. It wasn't exact and machine done, and that gives it real charm to me.

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Your posts are always so helpful. I spend a lot of time looking at things carefully, so I can spot the real thing when it pops up. I appreciate you telling me how you see these things. :kiss:

Ownedbybear likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You're very welcome! xx

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

@Ownedbybear Here are the remaining plates and bowls (at least earlier)
    See second post
    IMG_4194.jpg IMG_4193.JPG IMG_4198.jpg IMG_4200.jpg IMG_4201.jpg IMG_4202.jpg IMG_4203.jpg

5. KikoBlueEyes

More pictures of plates and bowls

IMG_4204.jpg IMG_4206.jpg IMG_4207.jpg IMG_4199.jpg IMG_4195.jpg

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

So the first plate, the one with the green empty cartouches looks unfinished because there should be some decoration in the cartouches and perhaps an outline or edging around the green... I like the 19th c one best.

7. KikoBlueEyes

I believe you're right about that Up close the inside edges are very messy. The one I bought I thought was the best too. It was very interesting having so many to look at though.

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted