Featured doulton find and mark question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barry Stephen, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

IMG_0241.jpeg IMG_0242.jpeg IMG_0244.jpeg IMG_0245.jpeg Found this vase recently and have researched marks and it seems to be designed by Eliza Simmance in 1909. Its great that doulton has all these marks for newbies to research but I haven't found out what the 'BB2' mark means so any help appreciated.
    Apologies in advance for the photos
    For me this motif is classic art nouveau ( which I know nothing about :) ). Its about 23 cm high (9 1/4")
    many thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can you get a less glare lit photo of that base please? You've other marks which are relevant, but I can't make them out. Yes, it's Art Nouveau. I can't remember the significance of BB2 off hand, I'll fish out my Doulton bible in the morning.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Beautiful glaze combo. :)

judy and bercrystal like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a striking piece!

Barry Stephen, judy and bercrystal like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I've enhanced the image a bit ...
    aaa.png

Barry Stephen, judy and bercrystal like this.
  6. Barry Stephen

thanks for the comments, I have not yet worked out how to add new photos to my existing post so have posted some new ones in the media gallery under pottery etc. hopefully you can find them. From my research I have worked out the following:

Full set of marks confirming a date of 1909 (j in shield). Designed and signed Eliza Simmance c1873-1928 (SE-stamp), senior artist assistant Ethel Hawkins c1897-1915 (hk-stamp)and artist Rosina Brown c1875-1905 (RB inscribed)according to Doulton websites although the latter's retirement date doesn't match with date of manufacture so I'll check again on the RB. Patent design No. appears to be 924 but cant locate similar on line. There is however a photo of similar stylized mushrooms on a vase by Eliza in a 2003 Sotheby's auction lot 303

I think its a great piece but of course I'm biased

Fid and judy like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The RB is certainly Rosina Brown and you're good on the rest of that. I'll get the book out and see what they say on her dates.

That's BR not BB.

bercrystal and Barry Stephen like this.
  8. Barry Stephen

well spotted, many thanks

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like you're pretty well on your way to solving.....thought the enhancement might help.....and that def looks like BR2......

VASE BOTTOM.jpg

10. Barry Stephen

many thanks Aquitaine

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Barry Stephen

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

To add photos to an existing post, click on Edit and then add the same way you did originally.

13. Barry Stephen

Draft saved Draft deleted