Dr. Seuss's ABC, First edition, First printing?

Discussion in 'Books' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jun 26, 2021.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

This has a Library of Congress catalog card # added to the title page. I have only seen one other and they were calling it First printing. Any help appreciated.
    I have no dust cover.
    First two pages have repair tape on the binding. Otherwise in excellent condition.
    Mikey
    atree 27098.jpg atree 27103.jpg atree 27104.jpg atree 27102.jpg atree 27106.jpg atree 27101.jpg

Zinovia and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

3. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

I would expect the LC number to be on all copies of this, since it's normally issued prior to publication, especially by large publishers. If it had a 10-digit ISBN, however, it would clearly be a later printing published after about 1970 (between 1967 and 1970 if it has a nine-digit SBN). The publisher's address can also help date it: if there is a ZIP code present, it's from 1963 or later. None of this, of course, helps if none of these extra numbers are present.

It may be difficult to tell without the jacket, which often has more information, and was more easily & thus more often changed. Almost all 'collectible' books issued with jackets are considerably less valuable (worth 50 to 90% less) without the jacket. Here's a link for a few of this series, but it doesn't have the points for the ABC:
    https://1stedition.net/blog/2008/11/dr-seuss-and-the-beginner-books.html

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted