Dr. Wall pickle dish with chinese pattern. How unusual is this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 21, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Who is Dr Wall and what does he have to do with a dish in the Willow pattern?

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  3. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm still confused about why there is a supposed connection to this dish. This is transferware. The only potential marking looks like a tiny x.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've a few of these pickle dishes, I really like them. One of mine, very damaged, is Liverpool apparently. That x is known to be linked to Worcester.

bercrystal and charlie cheswick like this.
  6. sunday silence

the "X" mark is actually one of a series of marks known as Workman's marks. I think this one has sort of winged tips at the ends of one of the Xs.

if you scroll down a little and look at the left side there are about 26 or 27 marks they have labeled as "workman's marks":

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/terrysykes92/marks/

if you click on that page it sort of goes away so I dunno what is going on with that page. i dont know if workmen's marks simply means marks to identify the artist but maybe plausible.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2022
  7. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Is it definitely porcelain. What sort of colour is the translucency

sunday silence likes this.
  8. sunday silence

Hi John. I have no more photos to offer. It was at an online auction and this is all I have. It sold for $150 which seems like a fair price for a genuine one, maybe should have gone higher?

Thanks for all your help on this and all the other stuff. This discussion board has been a huge help for me.

bercrystal and BoudiccaJones like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The X is a piecework mark, so that payment can be made.

Draft saved Draft deleted