Featured Dragon Carving Material Need Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Norm, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is always the little implements that suffer.:(
    [​IMG]

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I don't bother with pins anymore.
    Now I use a straight slot screwdriver. I heat it over my bonfire, then I drive it as far as it will go into the handle of that vintage celluloid hand mirror.
    If it pokes through to the other side, then I know it is not ivory:eek::p

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am glad you've learnt from all the good advice on Antiquers.:joyful:

This is how they tested in the old days:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    bercrystal, stracci and Bakersgma like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Yes, very accurate testing!
    :nailbiting::confused::eek::p

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

How'd you like being heated to red hot and jabbed into things?

Oh, I've been there ! ;)

6. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

When you performed your hot pin test, did you smell something akin to burning hair or instead, burning teeth? Burning hair smell is an indicator it is bone, burning teeth smell is an indicator it is ivory. The hot pin test is not just about if it pushes into the item or not.

Pay attention now here all you other posters making jokes and being silly.... I am posting a sensible post and asking a proper question. Grow up please now... Let's get serious. Norm... I shall await your answer in my closet with my computer monitor continuing my efforts to see if your dragon will glow under UV light in the dark. :playful:

bercrystal, stracci and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Norm

Norm Member

So i got a black light and it did not glow so I'm going with the consensus that it is a bone carving. Thank you for all your help. 20200820_014115.jpg 20200820_014150.jpg

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Norm

Norm Member

No smell when i tried the pin thing. It didn't even make a mark on it.

9. Norm

Norm Member

Thanks for the welcome good sir. Trust me im not the normal destroyer of precious things so i think the hot pin test was just a stupid choice on my part but i was just to interested in finding out what it was made of the I knew it was not plastic so i just want to see for sure. But we live and learn and now i know. PINS HATE FIRE.

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:hilarious::blackalien::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Examination using ultraviolet (UV) light
    Examining an object thought to be ivory using ultraviolet light may help determine whether the material is ivory or made from another material. Using long wave ultraviolet light, materials will fluoresce different colors or absorb the UV light helping to characterize it.

All ivory fluoresces under UV light and appears bluish-white (Hornbeck 2010). Bone and shell have a similar fluorescence to that of ivory. Vegetable ivory will appear slightly orange or warmer in tone. Plastics will absorb UV light and appear dull blue (Espinoza and Mann 1992).
    [​IMG]
    Samples of ivory, bone and ivory substitutes under longwave ultraviolet light(365nm). From left to right: mammoth ivory, bone, tagua nut (vegetable ivory), and celluloid."
    https://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Ivory#Identification

UV fluorescence will help distinguish ivory from plastic, but not necessarily from bone.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted