Featured drum stools and spittoons

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Phaik Hooi, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

another day of cleaning :dead::hilarious:

can anyone help with a good link for me to learn about shape, pattern style and foot/base identification of chinese ceramics? already spent hours searching but can't seem to find anything on foot identification even though the experts talk about it, as in, "turn it over and look" but look for what exactly? a little worn out by apocryphal marks, fake marks and no marks :p:D

anyway, here are today's haul.

regards
    phaik hooi

chinese drum stool1-1.jpg chinese drum stool2.jpg chinese drum stool3.jpg spittoon1.jpg spittoon2.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Nice pieces but we need to see the bottoms. The bottoms can show how the pieces were made and sometimes tell even more. Even if the markings are not really the old pieces but the honorific pieces it can tell a lot about the pieces.
    greg

Aquitaine, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  3. Phaik Hooi

here are the bottoms. please give me a lesson on how bottoms show how the pieces were made and more?
    i forgot to take bottoms of drum stools :banghead:

spittoon1 bottom.jpg spittoon1 bottom edge.jpg spittoon2 bottom mark.jpg spittoon2 bottom edge.jpg

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Phaik, I do love those drum stools, especially the one with the ducks! (We've always called them garden stools, but they're the same thing.) Very pretty!

5. Phaik Hooi

more bottom photos.

i could not see any difference between the 2 spittoon bottoms. both are glazed on the bottom inside but glaze not extending the edge. the edge is rough ceramic. i thought maybe one of them (spittoon #1) could have an undercut bottom but it is so slight that i conclude that it is just a low quality production of a qing spittoon. however, i believe it was made in the late qing period. the other is probably early-mid 20th? couldn't find when they stopped making spittoons.

today i took pictures of the drum stool bottoms and they are very different indeed. all are not glazed but stool #3 has a "smoother" finish. both stool #1 and #2 have different bottom style, but they have the same internal support beams. the support beams probably mean they are new productions. they are definitely much lighter than stool #3 which does not have the support beams on the inside. the bottom opening of stool #3 is the largest. age-wise, would i be correct in saying, stool #3 oldest, stool #1 and #2 about the same time? still unsure of period cos not a bottoms expert ;):D
    this last photo is of the mark on stool #1. the left bottom character is inverted. made to look like qianlong period mark, i.e. fake :rolleyes:

chinese drum stool1 bottom.jpg chinese drum stool1 bottom inside.jpg chinese drum stool2 bottom.jpg chinese drum stool2 bottom inside.jpg chinese drum stool3 bottom.jpg chinese drum stool3 bottom inside.jpg
    chinese drum stool qianlong mark.jpg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  6. Phaik Hooi

yep i like that one best too!!

7. Phaik Hooi

can anyone hazard a guess as to how much i could sell them for?
    regards
    phaik hooi

judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  9. Phaik Hooi

tq!
    yep no mark or fake mark on mine :p:D
    guess i may be taking them to salvation army but i thought i could try to post them on the local marketplace site first.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the work around the base reminds me of that erotic tea pot !!

11. Phaik Hooi

@gregsglass
    any insights re: bottoms of spittoons and drum stools?

trouble with the majority of straits chinese/peranakan items is that they were heavily used in households and hence not in pristine condition. seems to me their value depends very much on finding the "soul-mate" buyer, condition and genuineness aside. for the seller it is always a family history/heritage value, explains why we have so much "junk" in the house! :hilarious::shame:

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted