Featured Dry spell and some paste jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

31A28BC3-CB86-4491-BB9F-A6730F4E61D9.jpeg
    63A42E42-9805-4B5B-BA5A-F14995C9A2F5.jpeg
    AD62AA74-5163-42D5-9E93-0F065A1AA8DF.jpeg
    90C1EA70-1EC7-4C9E-9EC6-537938B02344.jpeg 17DE7080-1D9B-4138-803F-417DD1A128F4.jpeg DE410240-5650-4707-AC67-56535B79654E.jpeg 11687736-F63B-4E89-8F6F-BD36F54A19A0.jpeg
    674D9065-8DD6-427B-8A86-30F5BE6487D7.jpeg
    I have been on a dry spell this past month. I haven't been finding much.
    These two pieces are a nice exception to the dry spell:
    I bought the cross pendant with a lot of junk and I stepped a bit up for the brooch.
    The pendant is rose gold doublé with glass 'stones'. Its very big! In my opinion it dates from around 1900.
    The bar brooch is also huge! Its 800 silver with strass stones and its a regional piece from Arles, French Provence. Its marked with the 'tête de sanglier' which would date it between 1840-1960s. The tube-hinge makes me think it dates to maybe the 1920s-1930s, maybe using some parts that had been laying around.
    But lets compare the back of the brooch with some of my Flemish crosses(ca 1890): looks familiar, no?
    I can really appreciate good craftsmanship!
    Similar jewelry techniques were used all over Europe.
    The cross pendant is a bit big for me to wear on a daily base (think eighties Madonna-look!;)), but the brooch already sits on my coat.
    So whats your opinion on my newest pieces?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    bercrystal, Figtree3, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

seek , & ye shall find........ all nice.....
    the bar brooch ... ya...it's a monster !!

johnnycb09, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  3. Dessert58

Komokwa, thank you! I have small hands, but still both pieces are huge! :cat:

johnnycb09, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Good hunt, Dessert, beautiful!
    Just wondering, do you have more information on that? I would be interested, also because I have an Arlesienne costume.:)
    I have never seen them in Arles, only the more elaborate ones, like on page 33 in this "Notes sur le bijou d'Arles":

https://www.amisduvieilarles.com/assets/files/bulletins/pdf/HA01p.pdf

It isn't in my book of the Museon Arlaten, the Arles city museum, either.

5. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, you are more knowledgeable than me on the subject:rolleyes:
    This brooch was in fact sent to me from a small village closer to Nîmes, not that far from Arles.
    Thznk you very much for the link to the book! I hadn't seen it yet.
    I found a similar brooch to mine on Pinterest a while back. It was a factory who still made these regional jewelry but I cant find it anymore

Figtree3, johnnycb09, KSW and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Ah, thanks, that could be it. There is a slight difference between the traditions of Nîmes and Arles, both important towns in the region.
    I am more familiar with the costume and jewellery of Arles and surrounding area. I used to go there every year, sometimes twice.
    I did notice that whereas most Arlesiennes wear the folded fichu or kerchief (with cigalle brooch:happy:), in Nîmes they prefer the pelerine, which in Provençal tradition is made of ruffles of lace etc. This is not a black and white thing, pelerines are also worn in Arles, and fichus also in Nîmes. It is just my observation of a possible preference.
    Maybe a bar brooch contrasts better with the frilly pelerine, although I have never seen it.

I hope you find the link with the name of the factory.
    Nice, isn't it.:) It is a bit more in depth when it comes to Arles than the Bijoux Regionaux site you, kyra, and I use a lot.

7. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, yes indeed, each region and even city has its own traditions and I can imagine the differences are very obvious when you are born there.
    My husband and I have visited the Arles museum when we were on one of our first trips together numerous years ago. (An aunt and uncle live in Marseille and I have very fond childhood memories of that city and its surroundings).
    I wasn't that much interested into jewelry back in those days, unfortunately.

8. Dessert58

9. Any Jewelry

Wonderful! I only visited Marseille once or twice, but I loved it. Best place for bouillabaisse.:hungry::)

10. Any Jewelry

Very nice, yes definitely the same. They don't mention it, I would love to know a name for it.
    Yes, you see traditional jewellery in many jewellers' shops there.:)
    Same as here, in many regions.

11. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, indeed Bouillabaisse.
    Must be delicious, but I have been vegetarian from when I was 9 years old.
    For the French that is totally unimaginable :hilarious:

silverbell, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I am a pescatarian, so bouillabaisse was fine. Not so much now though, with onion and garlic (IBS:().
    Vegetarian restaurants are a problem for me, because I am lactose-intolerant. Everything they serve is cheesy-greasy.
    I can't digest meat or fatty foods either, as well as a long list of other foods. So if I go out for a meal it is usually to a restaurant that serves grilled seafood, no fancy stuff.

I remember once some members of our dance group insisted on booking a vegetarian restaurant for a group dinner. The cook was told a week in advance that I was lactose-intolerant. So she served me a plate of fava beans floating in the water they were boiled in, with some dried oregano sprinkled on top.:banghead: I hate fava beans.
    Everyone enjoyed their veggie meal, but I felt like leaving then and there. I should have, but I was too polite.:rolleyes:

silverbell, KSW and kyratango like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

KSW, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  14. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, omg! Indeed, you should have left.
    Too polite is sometimes a bad thing.
    I have had my latest bad food experience a year ago with a restaurant serving me 'boontjes in een rolletje met spek' and everything covered in a brown meat sauce. Dessert was a horrible gelatine covered fruitcake.
    Sometimes I think these cooks do it on purpose to see the reaction of the people, usually its just plain stupidity though.
    Must be really hard to coop with IBS and lactose intolerance! Thats next level

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Ha! Good ending of the dry spell:joyful:
    Superb huggies:woot:

Dessert58, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

:arghh: Poor you, you couldn't even eat the beans, they were contaminated anyway.
    Another pass for you.:(
    Lack of veggie options aside, that sounds like a meal from the 1960s.:confused:
    Yes, most cooks/chefs don't know what food actually consists of, or they would know that no animal parts really means no animal parts.
    And someone who serves fava beans in water with dried oregano on top should be banned from ever cooking again.

18. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

He/She should be condemned to eating those fava beans forever!!

Ugh! Never cared for fava beans anyway, but after "The Silence of the Lambs," my tummy churns at the mere mention. :yuck::yuck::yuck:

Dessert58, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

A dry spell? Those are amazing!! I love the crosses, they are huge :wideyed:. Great finds!

Dessert58, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can eat fava beans, but file them with celery and most organ meats - For Emergency Use Only!

silverbell and Dessert58 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted