Featured Dual Spout Amber Bottle - Hand Blown - Purpose?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 10, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize the purpose of this well-used, hand-blown, amber bottle with two spouts? I was thinking maybe pharmaceutical or medical, but it is pretty fancy. It's a decagon that gets smaller as it rises and has a bottom ring. It is 8 1/2 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches at its widest diameter. It has a pontil scar and heavy scratches on the bottom but no mark.

Any ideas?

IMG_3744.jpg IMG_3745.jpg IMG_3746.jpg IMG_3747.jpg IMG_3748.jpg IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3753.JPG IMG_3743.jpg

judy, Ce BCA, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe it just likes to ' spout ' off !!:playful:

pearlsnblume, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

LOL. You’re a big help. :D

pearlsnblume, judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Possibly a cruet bottle for oil/vinegar - or could be medical as you say. Nicely made item.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's missing a stopper.

KikoBlueEyes, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I looked and looked before I posted here, but I couldn't find anything. Since it is hand blown, it could be a one off or small distribution item. I like to think about how people live in different times and different places. It's one of the things, I enjoy about this site is that I get to see all manner of interesting objects and get to know about them. I tried to imagine what someone would do with this. When I got it, it was dirty from use, but who knows how long that dirt was there.

Born2it and Ce BCA like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

I agree you can feel the place, but I'm not sure it was glass. Thank you.

8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'd call it a "vinegar and oil bottle" too. Note that the entire (well almost all) the outer surface is ground and polished. Nice piece, too bad no stopper.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. Thank you. Then a table item - that's why it was made so pleasant to look at. I didn't realize about it's being ground and polished, but you're right - except for the ring at the bottom it is lovely to touch. I'll do research on that basis to see if I can find something similar. Yes. It was dirt cheap because it had no stopper, though I thought cork was a possibility. Do you think it is older?

10. KikoBlueEyes

11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, given the way the pontil is ground out, and the colour, and the step cut form of the base is could be a Regency age item around the 1830's. Such style was also reproduced in the early 20th century, but would have to be a quality manufacturer if of this period due to the detail.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful news. Then it will go into the keep pile! I love old glass. Thank you.

Born2it likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted