Featured Dug up short sword.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Eidam, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Scott Eidam

Scott Eidam Well-Known Member

Need some help identifying this dug up sword. Any info is greatly appreciated. 20220617_192754_compress42.jpg 20220617_192746_compress62.jpg 20220617_192734_compress35.jpg 20220617_192836_compress0.jpg 20220617_192824_compress5.jpg 20220617_192808_compress45.jpg 20220617_192750_compress76.jpg

NewEngland, KSW, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Figtree3, KSW and Roaring20s like this.
  3. Scott Eidam

The blade is 16inches, the handle 5inches. I dont think its a bayonet

Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Agreed!

KSW likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

the finger hole on a tanto style blade suggests a hunting knife of some sort..

the thin blade....and top guard..........suggests defensive....with a military posture..

I am befuddled..:wacky::wacky::wacky::inpain:

sabre123 and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's so corroded that it may be impossible to tell if there are any markings on it. I was wondering about the base of the blade, where it looks like there could be something. But it might just be part of the corrosion.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Not a bayonet. More of a short sword. But where it was found is important. The guard or hilt looks to be bronze or brass with a forward curl for hand to hand combat. The shortness supports the idea of close combat. The first thing that comes to me a pirate sword. Perhaps a naval or marine sword?

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Don't tell us exactly where you found it (it's your claim). But can you tell us any general history of the area-US Civil War,Calif Gold Rush,Battle Sites,UK,whatever for historical context ?

Gus Tuason and komokwa like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The shape and structure looks similar to a Messer type of single edged utilitarian knife/short sword.
    "Unlike most swords, a Messer's tang (the part of the blade covered by a grip) remains the same, or close to, the width as the rest of the blade. The grips, usually of wood, are placed either side of the wide tang, like a sandwich, and the whole assemblage is riveted together."
    https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-120.html

As komo noted, the finger ring suggests a hunting knife. The examples of actual fighting swords with finger rings/guards that I have found show the ring(s) placed in front of the guard (toward the blade), to protect the index finger when it is crossed over the guard, a style of grip that shows up in the 14th century.
    https://www.arms-n-armor.com/blogs/news/early-finger-rings-on-guards-why

I have not been able to find another example with a guard + finger ring quite like yours, which might indicate that it is not a standard form, but rather a custom made piece. As Gus noted, the use of bronze/brass for the guard (rather than steel) also might suggest it was not made by a professional sword smith.

Here is an interesting discussion of a somewhat similar mystery sword:

Gus Tuason and Figtree3 like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Very neat find. Origin immensely helpful on something like this. This may be worth doing electrolysis on the blade. It’s amazing how well it can restore steel. I’m told it’s not hard to do but I always envision a disaster if I think about trying it. Either way you should look into it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

btw........good photographs !;):happy:

wlwhittier likes this.
  12. Scott Eidam

Hudson Valley NY

13. bosko69

Hudson River Valley-Great historical area.French Indian War ?),The Revolutionary War,Trappers

14. Scott Eidam

Love hunting for antiques in this area! My first thought when i got the sword was possible revolutionary war? Its been such a pain in the butt to narrow this thing down.

15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Were any other objects found in the same context that might be more easily dated?

16. bosko69

Scott-Tell me about ID'ing stuff-got a room full.

17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted