Featured Dutch or Swiss?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Oct 28, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

OK, it ain't American, it ain't 17th or even 18th century either but, it does have original paint that is very attractive. The door hardware is very nice as well.
    What the heck is a "Dressing Beuro"? which is the title of this cab. dressing bureau?
    I like the man & woman on the central panel with her holding flowers & date 1817
    I am thinking a great linen closet for a bath. It's at a small country auction in south carolina where i got an early 18th century Philly tea table a couple years ago, i may drive down and see it.
    OK Europeans on this forum, what's the story on this cabinet? Any ideas? TIA
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/77159041_continental-paint-decorated-dressing-beuro
    77159041_1_x (1).jpg 77159041_2_x.jpg 77159041_3_x.jpg 77159041_4_x.jpg 77159041_5_x.jpg 77159041_6_x.jpg 77159041_7_x.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, there was an extremely sweet cabinet with lots of great storage space (that may have started out as a chiffarobe).

The end :)

3. scoutshouse

Not trying to guess its nationality, hence the literary license...

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm going to say Dutch colonial, the flower motif looks like it's a Dutch thing ..tulpen an' all (I'll wait to be scolded ...cue .....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)

The square-form of the drawers are also a little reminiscent of Dutch coin cabinet drawers ..

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help and NewEngland like this.
  6. James Conrad

Dutch huh? Calling @Any Jewelry! :singing: What says the lady in Brabant, is it dutch do you think?

7. James Conrad

LOL, i am not getting what you are saying, ????, spit it out Scout:p What do you think it is?

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I bet it started life as an armoire. I've seen some from the 20s this short. That 1817 paint job looks legit - probably a wedding gift. Too bad the lady isn't named Ruth, eh?

9. James Conrad

To tell the truth, when i first looked at it, i was thinking swedish but i really don't know european furniture. Description says "dutch or swiss".
    YIPES! smacks RUTH!:banghead: Besides, that ruth was CARVED! not painted :p

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  10. scoutshouse

You asked "...what's the story on this cabinet?"

Since i can't claim to know European furniture, I couldn't write an opus :)

I think it may have started as a chifferobe = half drawers + half wardrobe. But that's what Yankees call those thangs.

11. James Conrad

Agrees, It does & that is one thing i know about, i may visit & see, it's only an hour or so south from me.
    Camden SC, historic little town, a great battle was fought there in the Revolutionary War between Lord Cornwallis and General Nathanael Greene.
    The Battle of Camden, the worst American defeat of the Revolution, we lost. :(:(:(

i need help, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The only reference I can find to "beuro" is a transliteration of Urdu, so let's hope it's just a spelling shortcut.

This is a piece where provenance would make all the difference.

13. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

I know a small part of the story on this cabinet. In it's 200th year it was bought at another country auction outside Savannah. I passed on it mainly b/c the missing trim and a friend bought it probably for 100ish. I brought it back to Savannah for him. Another friend and major dealer in Savannah bought it from him, shopped it around town for a couple years and sent it to Camden. That auction is getting pretty good...watching a couple things.

14. James Conrad

Yeah, i noticed the missing trim on the framed panels, that doesn't bother me at all.

I picked up a 1720-30 Philadelphia walnut tea table from there in 2017 so yeah i agree, they are getting some product there, no doubt. At that same sale they had a "Dave the Slave" face jug that sold for a hideous amount of money as i recall.
    GOOD LUCK! on things you are watching! and THANKS! for info on this cab!:singing:

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Typo, spelling mistake, hootie tootie word?

16. James Conrad

Yeah, that makes sense. Probably typo.

i need help likes this.
  17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Illiterate millenial auction employee.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The lady in Brabant says not Dutch, but a southern German (Bavarian?) or possibly Austrian 'Bauernschrank', country Schrank (shrunk :D).
    As for a 'dressing beuro', I can only think of the German word Büro, which means office.:confused: Büro can be written as Buero, not beuro, but what that would have to do with this piece of furniture is beyond me.
    It is lovely, but nothing like traditional Dutch painted furniture.

Dutch painted furniture is more like this, these examples have 'Chinese lacquer' red and dark blue backgrounds, but they are also seen in pale blue, dark and pale green and ivory (colour):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Uhm..
    Those .... Germans stole our tulips!!!:rage::punch:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  19. James Conrad

So not Dutch, THANKS! Austrian or Bavarian will do!
    I asked someone not on this board and they thought south Tyrol, tyrol? where the heck is THAT!?:confused:
    Dang foreigners:hilarious:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. James Conrad

"South Tyrol (occasionally South Tirol) is the term most commonly used in English for the province,[7] and its usage reflects that it was created from a portion of the southern part of the historic County of Tyrol, a former state of the Holy Roman Empire and crown land of the Austrian Empire of the Habsburgs. German and Ladin speakers usually refer to the area as Südtirol; the Italian equivalent Sudtirolo (sometimes parsed Sud Tirolo[8]) is becoming increasingly common.[9]"

Good lord! wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to complicated!

Draft saved Draft deleted