EAPG (?) Celery Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I was able to score a group of five celery vases at an auction recently. I've identified three but this is one of the two I haven't been able to track down. It looks to be a sawtooth pattern but I can't match up the turned-down rim or the stem. It stands 9 3/4" tall with a 3 7/8" base diameter. It's a three part mold. It may date earlier than EAPG as one of the other vases I picked up fell under the Huber designation (1860's). Any help determining who produced it and when would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Don

IMG_20180613_104847444.jpg IMG_20180613_104917682.jpg IMG_20180613_104855122.jpg IMG_20180613_104900917.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    For some strange reason I am getting a Libby vibe from this bottom.
    greg

judy likes this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

This "pattern" is often called Sawtooth. There were several manufacturers of it before the Civil War. If this is flint (rings like a bell) its from that period.

judy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cherryhill! The crystal is rather brilliant but it has more of a plunk than a ring.
    Don

judy likes this.
  5. Cherryhill

That pretty well dates it to after the Civil War....

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hey, that's closer to a production date than when I started. Thanks again!
    Don

7. Cherryhill

I've found a picture, from a Bryce, Richards Catalog page. My computer is playing tricks on me (Win10 on a winXP computer) so I can't give you a date.

Sawtooth cov bowl, sugar.jpg
    The knop on the covered sugar looks a lot like your celery's
    Bryce Richards was the precursor to Bryce Bros.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, again. I just noticed that the diamonds on my celery looked pulled. The diamonds closest to the stem are shorter than the diamonds towards the top. I'm wondering now if it was made from a pulled goblet. It does look a lot like the Bryce Richards piece. I've got Paul Kirk's Bryce Higbee book but no reference for Bryce Richards.

It will probably be up for sale as Sawtooth and the buyers (assuming I have any) can make their own determinations. Or I may just keep it. It's probably the nicest celery I've come across. I knew it would be a tough to get a firm ID because this type of diamond pattern was so common.

The three celery vases I've identified are Heisey Puritan, Huber, and Cooperative Flint's Plain pattern. I may need help on the fifth celery as well but I want to compare it against the EAPG database ( that the Facebook group put together) first. That's how I found the other three.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I still remember a discussion on another Facebook page between two folks. One had access to old catalogs and someone asked if they could see the pages from that catalog. The first person said no, they had paid a lot of money for that catalog and would not give that information away. I though the whole purpose of that page was to share information. I rather thought that was the whole purpose of the group. I'm grateful for your willingness to share (along with many others on this and other boards). Expertise hidden will not survive beyond the holder.

Oh, and if I had my way I'd still be running winXP. So far I've managed to avoid WIN10.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted