EAPG ? mug w/ stained block design - pattern? maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Nov 17, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hopefully someone can help with the pattern &/or the maker.

The blocks are stained with an amethyst color & it is 3" to the side edge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss:

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I believe this is "Late Block" amethyst stained. Do wait for the glass gurus to chime in. About a year or so ago I download a *.pdf file of Popular American Ruby Stained Pattern Glass by Ric hard Carter Barrett from a glass website. That website isn't active anylonger. Anyhow it has pic and info on "Late Block." Following are pic of the "Late Block" and its info from that file - Plate 9, Third Row. I'm doing it by copy/paste/crop pics.

--- Susan

LateBlock.jpg

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.... the EAPG pattern website pic of "Late Block" shows the blocks as hexagons.
    About 3/4ths of the way down the page in clear. There is a link to a close-up of the pattern:
    http://patternglass.com/Store/Sugars/index.htm

Barrett says the "This pattern, no matter where or when it was made, as long as the blocks are square, is correctly called 'Late Block'." Barrett calls the hexagon blocks "Red Blocks." He also says there were many varients of this pattern such as: "NO. 140," "Eve," Barred Block," "Gem," "Late Block," etc... Have included a pic of "Red Block" from Barrett.

--- Susan

RedBlock.jpg

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

agree there seems to be some confusion with Red Block vs. Late Block, and the use of hex blocks vs. square blocks. The piece posted here has square blocks and bars between those blocks which differentiates it from the Duncan #331 Late Block. I looked thru Heacock and EAPGpatterns and didn't find a matching block & bar pattern.

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Barrett is too general for today's knowledge but does have some useful info.. That glass is Duncan's 331. Your mug is Bryce Bros No 87 aka Reeded Waffle also Berlin. Possibly continued by USG but likely just the sale of old stock. I do not know who did the staining.

6. TallCakes

only pieces of 'Reeded Waffle'/'Berlin' I could find had lines/hatch between the square blocks rather that bars as here. They were attributed to Adams and Westmoreland.

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Agggggh! How DO you people keep it all straight??

And is there an early block...or first block...??

8. TallCakes

no Early Block that I know of. but there is Red Block, Thumbprint Block, Block with Fan, Block & Circle, Block & Bar, Block & Double Bar, Block & Honeycomb, Block and Iris, Block & Pleat, and many more.....

9. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Hi all----There is also Imperial's Waffle Block.

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

'n Block & Tackle. jail block, Block Island, BLOCK THAT KICK!, block of cheese, city block, block-headed, and blockberries.

Oh...wait a minute...

gregsglass likes this.
  11. TallCakes

a couple of references I found have Bryce Bros. #87 as their Teasel pattern. References I find for Berlin/Reeded Waffle show a different pattern. McCain seems to have both Teasel and Berlin noted as Bryce Bros. #87; I'd lean toward the Berlin attribution being in error.

12. TallCakes

here's an example of 'Berlin':
    [​IMG]

gregsglass likes this.
  13. bercrystal

Agggggh! How DO you people keep it all straight??

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I agree 1000%!!!!!! :p

I have several more pieces of EAPG to ID & have gone about half blind looking through my few books & on-line. I will probably give up on the rest of them by next week so prepare yourself for an onslaught of ID requests. ;) :arghh: :eek: :rolleyes: :happy:

Now back to this piece. The lines between the blocks are more like raised dashes & the piece of Berlin I found in my Standard Encyclopedia of Pressed Glass by Edwards & Carwile look like there are multiple continuous lines in between the blocks. I also checked out the Duncan 331 but the piece I found didn't look like there were any lines between the blocks. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Now the real question, WTH do I buy this stuff????? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  14. TallCakes

sorry but I can't answer why you buy it, but these minute differences intrigue me which is one reason I enjoy collecting EAPG cake stands.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bercrystal,
    I have found so many mistakes in Edwards&Carwiles I just use them as pretty pictures. There are so many slight differences in EAPG I just enjoy them for their beauty.
    greg

16. bercrystal

Tallcakes - I hope you know I was really just kidding in my semi rant above. I guess I just get so discouraged sometimes because of those minute differences.

Greg - I know that one has many errors, so I always check out other references before going with an ID. This time they had a bowl just like the creamer & sugar set that was posted above.

17. TallCakes

yes, I understood the jest : ) wish I could help on this one but still haven't found an exact match : (

18. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Names often get applied to different patterns. In this case the name came from Mordock & Adams mug book. Mug #534.

19. TallCakes

that appears to be one of the references used by McCain, but the graphic image used does not match the piece here; the image in McCain matched the Berlin image I posted above.

20. bercrystal

Thanks for all the research help!!! :kiss:

On the bright side while researching this mug I stumbled upon another piece that needed an ID so that is a very good thing. :happy::happy::happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted