Featured 'EAPG - Real or Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 6, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

They had a bunch of glass today, and I bought what I thought might be real. Most of it was very iffy, but I am trying to add to my collection and knowledge, so I thought I would give these pieces a try. I can always re-donate the mistakes.

This first piece makes me nervous. It doesn't seem as crisp, as the four pieces of EAPG I have. It is a large compote at 8 1/2 inches tall and 8 3/4 inches in diameter. No marks that I could find. What do you think?

IMG_3705.jpg IMG_3696.jpg IMG_3697.jpg IMG_3693.jpg IMG_3701.jpg IMG_3698.jpg IMG_3699.jpg IMG_3700.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Are you sure this isn't a mark? Feel for it in the center of the bottom of the piece.

upload_2022-2-6_23-54-17.jpeg

Lucille.b, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@TallCakes recommended this site a while back. :happy:

You can try searching it to see if you can find it there or you can wait for him to ID without even consulting a book or the site. ;):playful: :happy: :hilarious::hilarious:

https://www.eapgs.net/index.php

Lucille.b, *crs*, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess I'd say it was modern, and made for "pretty" rather than to fool anyone. OTOH I'm no glassie.

Lucille.b, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll fondle it up again.

judy likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

I enjoy looking at glass, so I'm happy to peruse this site. I've got about a halfway through and no luck yet. Thanks for reminding me and posting the link. I don't run across much EAPG possibility, so I forget.

judy likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Could well be. I usually look for wear, and this has none but little of the foot touches the surface. Thank you.

judy likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

I just felt for etching. I took some close ups with different lights and angles and I saw just a bubble.
    IMG_3714.JPG IMG_3715.JPG
    IMG_3716.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  9. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

It's real. It's a Daisy and Button pattern with a tulip rim. It was made some time around the TOC.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I concur with Doot. I have this same compote in my collection. It is sometimes attributed to Duncan but I'm not sure. Since I just love it, I don't really care too much. D&B is one of my fave patterns but a lot of companies made their version of it.

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hold on a minute. I just pulled mine down and blacklighted it. Not even a hint of yellow so Let me look in a book I have. and see if it's a reproduction.

12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Gillinder & Sons #413 c1885 (AKA: Daisy & Button); part of their Imitation Rich Cut Ware line...

upload_2022-2-7_7-10-35.png

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Lucille.b and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@TallCakes That's the same thing I found, but why doesn't my compote glow? Do you know?

EDIT: Doh! Because I didn't take it into a really dark room! When I did, it glows a little yellow. At least my love for it is unconditional and just assumed EAPG when I bought it mainly because of the wafer between bowl and pedestal.

15. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

detecting "glowing" of crystal EAPG can be difficult; need to be in total darkness and sometimes rotate the glass to see any faint 'glowing'. Just checked a Gillinder 'Rustic' piece that I have and it is very faint...

edit: it's manganese in the glass that is used for clarity that will cause a faint glow with blacklight in total darkness. The same manganese will cause the glass to sun purple if left in sunlight for a loooooong time, which is considered 'damaged'... there was a time when sellers would use powerful UV lights to simulate extended sun exposure to purposely purple EAPG, thus irreversibly damaging lots of EAPG...

not aware of reproductions; Gillinder is still in business making engineered glass...

as to 'crispness', this can often be attributed to extended used of molds; the crispness of the pattern deteriorates with use, making later produced pieces less crisp. Crispness can also be affected by the extent of fire polishing...

Lucille.b and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Yippee!!!!!!!! I'm sooooooo excited. Excellent details about the pattern. Thank you.

17. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful. It's great to have a confirmation. I like we have the same piece. I agree, it has something going on from the top to the bottom. But rather than being busy, it just seems joyful.

18. KikoBlueEyes

Ooops. I thought yellow in the blacklight was uranium. Do you mean that there is something in EAPG that lights up yellow? Thanks for looking at your book. I will be disappointed now if this isn't real EAPG.

19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It is Real EAPG. EAPG pieces have a yellow glow under UV light. In this case I had to be in a very dark room to see it. Same with TC's piece of Gillinder glass. I think the UV light is detecting Manganese? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Of course, the wonderful @TallCakes has the answer. I am always amazed at your knowledge and your willingness to help out people like me learn. I am truly appreciative! 1885 makes me very happy. Thank you.

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted