Early 20th Century Fireplace Cover

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by D Wallace, Mar 6, 2021.

1. D Wallace

D Wallace New Member

torch and thistle.JPG Hi everyone. I saw this forum and thought someone might be able to help. I am purchasing a house built around 1910. The fireplace is covered with a metal ornate cover. The design stamped into the cover is a torch with what appears to be thistles on each side of the torch. I have a photo and have uploaded for you to see. Can anyone shed some light on this design?

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't see thistles. It appears to be an interpretation of a classical motif. Torch with foliate wreath. You can find other examples with a Google Images search. Here's one from the Cooper Hewitt. 1905-1915.

Debora

45426_9ff000794b685768_b.jpg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. D Wallace

D Wallace New Member

Thank you. That's what I needed know.

Darkwing Manor, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Defintely a Neo-classical design. The two flanking palmate designs are Greek anthemion and the hanging garlands are bell flowers. And you've got some acanthus leaves thrown in there for good measure. So iconic! I have a similar burnished pressed metal cover in the Egyptian Revival style. It's hanging on the wall in my bathroom!
    Marlborough_Jewel_2.jpg

Debora and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted